Tuesday, August 12, 2014

BLYTHEWOOD

Blythewood (Blythewood, #1)Book Review:  Blythewood

 Author:  Carol Goodman
Published:  October 2013
Series:  Blythewood #1
Genre:  YA Paranormal/Fantasy

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
At seventeen, Avaline Hall has already buried her mother, survived a horrific factory fire, and escaped from an insane asylum. Now she’s on her way to Blythewood Academy, the elite boarding school in New York’s mist-shrouded Hudson Valley that her mother attended—and was expelled from. Though she’s afraid her high society classmates won’t accept a factory girl in their midst, Ava is desperate to unravel her family’s murky past, discover the identity of the father she’s never known, and perhaps finally understand her mother’s abrupt suicide. She’s also on the hunt for the identity of the mysterious boy who rescued her from the fire. And she suspects the answers she seeks lie at Blythewood.   

But nothing could have prepared her for the dark secret of what Blythewood is, and what its students are being trained to do. Haunted by dreams of a winged boy and pursued by visions of a sinister man who breathes smoke, Ava isn’t sure if she’s losing her mind or getting closer to the truth. And the more rigorously Ava digs into the past, the more dangerous her present becomes.



My Two Cents
So I've been gone a long time... a really long time.  But I'm back!  And boy do I have a butt load of books to review.  First off, Blythewood.  I was promised more.  The book description was cool and mysterious with a promise of a hot boy.  But boy, was I disappointed.  The only nice thing I have to say is the world Goodman created was a fantasy lovers dream.  All sorts of shiz was running around in this mysterious forest!  But I had a major bone to pick with the main characters.  Ava was likeable but completely disregards the rules and as a result her friends and hot potential boy toy all have to rescue her.  And with the "haunted" Academy, close cluster of friends and "save the world" destiny, everything was sounding a bit too Harry Potterish.  I LOVE Harry but I've been there, done that in regards to the storyline.  The romance you ask?  Try love at first sight...I've never really spent time with you but hey, stick your tongue down my throat and we can be in love!  Add the fact that the ending was begging for a love triangle and you've got a "hell no" from me.  I'm awarding Blythewood 2 out of 5 stars.  It had so much potential!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment