Friday, June 20, 2014

RUIN AND RISING

Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)Book Review:  Ruin and Rising

Author:  Leigh Bardugo
Published:  June 2014
Series:  The Grisha #3
Genre:  YA Fantasy

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
The capital has fallen. The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.



My Two Cents
Ah the end of a series.  Rating these books are the hardest, especially if you're in love with the characters.  And to be quite honest, 24 hours after finishing this book, I am still conflicted on how to rate it.  Now I've decided since so many of my friends are reading this book I'm not going to give any spoilers.  But here's my thoughts.  The plot and twists in Ruin and Rising were amazing!  The twists were shocking while staying true to the fantasy aspect of this series, and the Darkling was still deliciously bad ass (pardon my french).  I could not put this book down.  But I think I'm going to have to agree with other bloggers that perhaps Bardugo was so caught up in the story that she failed to put much attention to character development.  And yes, there was much character development to be had even in a 3rd book in a series.  Alina doubts herself at every turn and because of this this falls easy prey to the Darkling, Nikolai, and Mal, who all want her undivided attention (even if Mal won't admit it openly).  And of course the question on everyone's mind is who will Alina wind up with?  Many will be disappointed and many will rejoice.  As for me, I wanted a good make-out session with the Darkling and then his throat slit.  Did the Darkling get his?  Guess you'll have to read to find out.  I'm awarding Ruin and Rising 4 out of 5 stars.  Definitely a good book, but I found myself wanting more.  And maybe wanting more is a sign that I can't let these characters go just yet.  So Bardugo, you must write another series soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment