Wednesday, June 25, 2014

CROAK

Croak (Croak, #1)Book Review:  Croak

Author:  Gina Damico
Published:  March 2012
Series:  Croak #1
Genre:  YA Paranormal

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Fed up with her wild behavior, sixteen-year-old Lex's parents ship her off to upstate New York to live with her Uncle Mort for the summer, hoping that a few months of dirty farm work will whip her back into shape.

But Uncle Mort's true occupation is much dirtier than shoveling manure. He's a Grim Reaper. And he's going to teach Lex the family business.

She quickly assimilates into the peculiar world of Croak, a town populated by reapers who deliver souls from this life to the next. But Lex can't stop her desire for justice - or is it vengeance? - whenever she encounters a murder victim, craving to stop the attackers before they can strike again.

Will she ditch Croak and go rogue with her reaper skills?



My Two Cents
This is the kind of thoughtless, yet entertaining paranormal series I think I can get into.  Though truth be told I wasn't invested until about two-thirds of the way in.  But I definitely enjoyed Lex, her handsome sidekick, and the dust they were able to kick up in so short a time.  Lex's point of view was always snarky and therefore humorous.  I loved the aspect of their job as a sort of "Grim Reaper".  And the stone that morphs into a scythe?  That was icing on the cake!  With someone close to Lex dying at the end (I'm not giving away much here), I'm definitely invested for the next book, whenever I can squeeze that in.  I'm awarding Croak 3.5 out of 5 stars.  Not memorable but a fun, summer ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment