Friday, May 30, 2014

YOU ARE MINE

You Are Mine (Mine, #1)Book Review:  You Are Mine

Author:  Janeal Falor
Published:  May 2013
Series:  Mine #1
Genre:  YA Fantasy

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn’t follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts.

Then her ownership is won by a barbarian from another country. With the uncertainty that comes from belonging to a new warlock, Serena questions if being tarnished is really worse than being owned by a barbarian, and tempts fate by breaking the rules. When he looks the other way instead of punishing her, she discovers a new world. The more she ventures into the forbidden, the more she learns of love and a freedom just out of reach. Serena longs for both. But in a society where women are only ever property, hoping for more could be deadly.



My Two Cents
Okay, this sounded promising to me, despite the title (You Are Mine?).  It had the potential to go all kinky on me.  But a "barbarian" husband who is a powerful warlock?  I mean I can kind of sympathize with Serena.  My husband is barbaric when it come to meat and is super magical with some power tools, but can this book live up to it's fantasy genre?  It turns out, no.  You Are Mine is more overly romantic with a protagonist who drove me batty.  I mean the only thing Serena does to act out is dress differently?!  Her marriage ceremony was sadistic and wrong on so many levels.  And her barbaric husband?  Not even close to barbaric other than being abnormally tall.  He was like a big teddy bear.  So I'm sad to say that while Falor managed somehow to keep me turning the pages I yearned for so much more out of this book, especially the magic and spells.  I'm awarding You Are Mine 3 out of 5 stars.  I think I'll read the next one because Serena's sister sounds more promising.  But there better be more here!

No comments:

Post a Comment