Monday, May 12, 2014

UNBOUND

The Unbound (The Archived, #2)Book Review:  Unbound

Author:  Victoria Schwab
Published:  January 2014
Series:  The Archived #2
Genre:  YA Paranormal/Mystery

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Last summer, Mackenzie Bishop, a Keeper tasked with stopping violent Histories from escaping the Archive, almost lost her life to one. Now, as she starts her junior year at Hyde School, she's struggling to get her life back. But moving on isn't easy -- not when her dreams are haunted by what happened. She knows the past is past, knows it cannot hurt her, but it feels so real, and when her nightmares begin to creep into her waking hours, she starts to wonder if she's really safe.

Meanwhile, people are vanishing without a trace, and the only thing they seem to have in common is Mackenzie. She's sure the Archive knows more than they are letting on, but before she can prove it, she becomes the prime suspect. And unless Mac can track down the real culprit, she'll lose everything, not only her role as Keeper, but her memories, and even her life. Can Mackenzie untangle the mystery before she herself unravels?



My Two Cents
I think I am in love with Victoria Schwab.  This is the third book that I've read from her and I'm smitten by her writing.  Unbound was no exception.  Schwab had me captivated from page one (especially since I could tell there would be more Wesley).  If you know nothing about this series then know this.  Schwab's setting in the paranormal world in unlike anything else I've read, with the main character Mac searching for dead people in a stone cold maze.  I loved Unbound, the writing, Mac and Wesley, the mystery behind the deaths but I had some major problems with the ending.  Because of Mac's actions (or lack thereof) people die in the end and she is a major suspect in the disappearance (or deaths) of 4 people.  But there were no real consequences for Mac, and a simple "mind alteration" was performed on the police detective to erase Mac's presence in the deaths.  But what about other people on the case?  Can 4 deaths really be forgotten (or unexplained) because someone erased the detective's mind?  Schwab didn't tie this one up nicely.  I'm awarding Unbound 3.5 out of 5 stars just for the ending.  Now, someone told me this was it for the series...Are you serious?!!  You can't leave the story and Mac like this!  Schwab, if you're reading this please, please, please...give me another book.  Two more would be ideal but beggars can't be choosers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment