Friday, April 11, 2014

THE WINNER'S CURSE

The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)Book Review: The Winner's Curse

Author:  Marie Rutkoski
Published:  March 2014
Series:  The Winner's Trilogy #1
Genre:  YA Fantasy

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions.

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin.

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.
 



My Two Cents 
I'd like to apologize!  I've been crazy busy the last 2 weeks (painting our kitchen cabinets, I'll post pictures soon maybe).  So my next few posts might be quick and to the point.  

The Winners' Curse is one to put on your to-be-read list.  I loved it.  Kestrel unexpectedly takes a slave to her fathers plantation.  But little does she know that this slave, Arin, will be her downfall in so many ways.  And when the tables turn, where will Kestrel's loyalties lay?  I loved Kestrel and Arin's romance.  It grew slowly... over board games, music and loyalty.  And there was still enough action (I mean war and fighting, get your minds out of the gutter!) to keep my attention.  Was The Winner's Curse perfect?  No.  Perhaps my only gripe is Kestrel buying a slave on a whim.  But other than that this book comes highly recommended from me, 4.5 out of 5 stars.  If you enjoyed For Darkness Shows the Stars than this is a must read!

No comments:

Post a Comment