Friday, March 14, 2014

SHATTERED VEIL

Shattered Veil (The Diatous Wars #1)Book Review:  Shattered Veil

Author:  Tracy E. Banghart
Published:  February 2014
Series:  The Diatous Wars #1
Genre:  YA Science Fiction

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
For Aris, a talented wingjet pilot, war means sacrificing everything: her home, her name, her face—and the one promise she swore she’d never break.

In the small village of Lux, everyone flies wingjets, but nobody flies them like Aris Haan. When she’s not dancing through the skies, she’s spending every minute with Calix, whom she’s loved since childhood. They plan to Promise, but instead he is sent to defend their dominion against a bloody invasion. Determined not to lose him, Aris follows, joining an underground network of women inside the male-only military. Using secret technology that allows her to pass as a man, she becomes “Aristos”, a Flyer in a search-and-rescue unit.

As Aris grows stronger on the battlefield and more comfortable in her guise as Aristos, her personal mission becomes less and less clear. When she and her enigmatic commander, Major Vidar, uncover an astonishing conspiracy that could destroy everything, she must make a choice that will determine not only the fate of her heart, but the future of her dominion.



My Two Cents
First off I'd like to give a big THANK YOU to NetGalley for letting me read this book!

You guys, this book!  I loved it!  And I want more...  Aris is the heroine that grows on you.  She starts off weak and a little annoyingly love sick, but she comes around to see her full potential.  And finally a book where the female under cover does more than "bind her lady parts" as a disguise for a man.  I really liked this "makeover" science fiction part of the book.  Other than her disguise, Shattered Veil does not really expand upon the sci-fi aspect.  Of which I think I want more sci-fi AND world building in the next book if I can be so bold.  The plot is traditional... save the captor, win the war type of story line.  But Banghart makes up for any typical story line with her characters...especially Major Vidar.  Sigh.  Don't tell my husband, but I kind of dreamed (and awoke with a smile on my face) of Aris and Vidar.  And while we're on the topic of romance, let's talk about the elephant in the room.  The book description leads you to believe there could be a love triangle.  Which is kind of true as in Aris has two boys that she likes.  But she quickly comes to the realization of who she is and what she wants.  Without that, this book would have been cataloged away as another blah YA read.  Shattered Veil is a little known gem you shouldn't skip out on, 4.5 out of 5 stars.  I am eagerly awaiting a sequel!                     

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to give this one a try. I'm in a reading rut right now. I only read half of Prodigy, and couldn't even open Champion! Everything else I have read has just blurred into one big lump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      I am in the middle of reading The Winner's Curse. It is amazing but there's not a whole lot of action like Legend or Angelfall. I hate reading ruts! I usually have to read an obnoxiously romantic book to get me out of those! Who knew, right? Miss ya!

      Delete