Monday, March 3, 2014

SEKRET

Sekret (Sekret, #1)Book Review:  Sekret

Author:  Lindsay Smith
To-Be-Published:  April 1, 2014
Series:  Sekret #1
Genre:  YA Historical Fiction/ Paranormal

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Yulia’s father always taught her that an empty mind is a safe mind. She has to hide her thoughts and control her emotions to survive in Communist Russia, especially because she seems to be able to read the minds of the people she touches. When she’s captured by the KGB and forced to work as a psychic spy with a mission to undermine the U.S. space program, she’s thrust into a world of suspicion, deceit, and horrifying power where she can trust no one.

She certainly can’t trust Rostov, the cruel KGB operative running the psychic program. Or handsome Sergei who encourages her to cooperate with the KGB. Or brooding Valentin who tells her to rebel against them. And not the CIA, who have a psychic so powerful he can erase a person’s mind with his own thoughts. Yulia quickly learns she must rely on her own wits and power to survive in this world where no SEKRET can stay hidden for long.



My Two Cents
First off I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to NetGalley for letting me read this book!

My mind must be pretty safe right now because I'm drawing a blank about writing my review of Sekret.  On one hand I loved the historical detail Smith included in this book.  I have read little (or nothing now that I think about it) about Communist Russia or the KGB.  This time period in our history truly was a rat race.  And for what?  Reaching the moon first?  But I underestimated the length to which the KGB and CIA were willing to spy on each other all for the good of their country.  And for that fact, I think Sekret was a success for someone like me with little experience in this era.  Now what didn't hit it out of the park for me?  I think I needed more twists and historical details rather than the paranormal and romantic aspects of this book.  Historical details seemed to be left in the dust once Yulia is forced to join the KGB.  The plot of a school of spies working for the KGB seemed more out of the pages of X-MEN and Harry Potter, lacking originality for me.  And the romance between Yulia and Valentin?  I can't exactly put my finger on it but it didn't work for me.  Perhaps the flame will be stronger in the sequel?  Amidst all of this I am still awarding Sekret 4 out of 5 stars.  It was "like" rather than "love" for me and this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment