Wednesday, January 15, 2014

THE DIVINERS

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)Book Review:  The Diviners

Author:  Libba Bray
Published:  September 2012
Series:  The Diviners #1
Genre:  YA Historical Fiction/Paranormal

The Setting - Taken From Goodreads
Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.

Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.



My Two Cents
I'm having a hard time getting a reading on this book (ha ha, a pun on a book about psychics and mediums...yeah, I know I'm a scream)!  On one hand I absolutely adored The Diviners.  On the other hand, I really had to force myself to finish this book.  Libba Bray has proven she is no amateur writer with this book.  The Diviners is a 578 page book with each sentence carefully crafted to add meaning to the story, even if that meaning doesn't play out much in this installment.  So what did I like?  Evie, Will, Jericho, Sam, okay pretty much every character.  Because each and every character has a secret, and a lot of them will totally knock your socks off.  And the ending?  How can you not love an ending with a kiss and a promise of more evil to come?  Sinful!  Yes I loved The Diviners, but just beware, this is not a fast paced, finish in a couple of hours type of novel.  I'm awarding The Diviners 4 out of 5 stars and really that rating could go up by reading the next book in this series (I'm thinking some characters who didn't do a whole lot in this will be more important in Lair of Dreams).  Which isn't due out until...wait August?  I thought it was out in April!  Guess I'll need to find some patience until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment