Friday, January 10, 2014

STORMDANCER

Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1)Book Review:  Stormdancer

Author:  Jay Kristoff
Published:  September 2012
Series:  The Lotus War #1
Genre:  Fantasy/Steampunk

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Griffins are supposed to be extinct. So when Yukiko and her warrior father Masaru are sent to capture one for the Shogun, they fear that their lives are over. Everyone knows what happens to those who fail him, no matter how hopeless the task.

But the mission proves far less impossible, and far more deadly, than anyone expects – and soon Yukiko finds herself stranded: a young woman alone in her country's last wilderness, with only a furious, crippled griffin for company. But trapped together in the forest, Yukiko and Buruu soon discover a friendship that neither of them expected.

Meanwhile, the country around them verges on the brink of collapse. A toxic fuel is slowly choking the land; the omnipotent, machine-powered Lotus Guild is publicly burning those they deem Impure; and the Shogun cares about nothing but his own dominion. Yukiko has always been uneasy in the shadow of power, when she learns the awful truth of what the Shogun has done, both to her country and to her own family she's determined to do something about it.

Returning to the city, Yukiko and Buruu plan to make the Shogun pay for his crimes – but what can one girl and a flightless griffin do against the might of an empire?



My Two Cents
Has there ever been a time where the size or small print of a book scared you off?  Well I'm sad to say this happens A LOT with me, I'm shallow and petty like that.  I've put off reading Stormdancer for well over a year, reading other immature YA fiction.  But Stormdancer you guys, it's absolutely awesome.  Fantasy nerds unite!  What I liked most about this book was the setting.  It is completely unique and Kristoff does an amazing job of describing the rich landscaping of a wretched Japan.  Sometimes too good of a job.  I want to warn you that while I adored Stormdancer, it also took me to about page 200 to be fully invested in the story.  Stay with it, it's worth it I swear!  As to the question of romance in this book.  Yes, there is a smidgeon.  And when I say smidgeon I mean miniscule.  Are you surprised given the amount of romance that I'm still gushing over this book?  And it definitely does NOT follow the typical love story in YA lit.  But I'm hopeful in the next installment Yukiko can follow her heart and her brain.  Cause you need both in a successful relationship.  I'm awarding Stormdancer 5 out of 5 stars.  What took you guys so long to convince me to read this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment