Monday, January 27, 2014

FROI OF THE EXILES

Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)Book Review:  Froi of the Exiles

Author:  Melina Marchetta
Published:  October 2011
Series:  Lumatere Chronicles #2
Genre:  YA Fantasy

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Three years after the curse on Lumatere was lifted, Froi has found his home... Or so he believes...

Fiercely loyal to the Queen and Finnikin, Froi has been trained roughly and lovingly by the Guard sworn to protect the royal family, and has learned to control his quick temper. But when he is sent on a secretive mission to the kingdom of Charyn, nothing could have prepared him for what he finds. Here he encounters a damaged people who are not who they seem, and must unravel both the dark bonds of kinship and the mysteries of a half-mad Princess.

And in this barren and mysterious place, he will discover that there is a song sleeping in his blood, and though Froi would rather not, the time has come to listen.



My Two Cents
Marchetta, Marchetta.  "You have bewitched me, body and soul".  Especially since I read the first chapter of Froi of the Exiles a year ago and thought I couldn't through with it.  Why do some of the best books I've read turn me off with the first chapter (that's you Sanctum)?  Here's the thing with Froi of the Exiles.  I absolutely loved it.  It's easily the best book I've read in months.  But you have to get through the first book of this series, Finnikin of the Rock, which in my opinion was snooze city.  But great is your reward if you make it to the second.  First things first though.  Why have a whole book about Froi?  He was not a very likeable character in Finnikin of the Rock.  I was totally caught of guard when I learned the whole second book was about him because of my indifference towards the guy.  But his character grows in Froi of the Exiles, and I'm happy to say that I'm now in the Froi fan club.  I'm glad Marchetta was able to use her magic on me and Froi. 

The second thing you should know is why I stopped reading this book.  The plot has a very grown up theme.  This book is not for your tweens.  The curse in this book involves a kingdom who has not been able to conceive a child in over 17 years.  Weird, but the disturbing part is supposedly how the curse will be broken.  They believe the princess will conceive a child with the last born male in the kingdom and she will then be the one to break the curse .  And they don't exactly know who that last born is...  This ensues the constant rape of princess Quintana.  A little bit dark right?  But if you can stomach the harshness of this tale, I promise you will love it.  At times it will have you hugging the book to your chest and then a few chapters later sobbing uncontrollably.  I'm awarding Froi of the Exiles 5 out of 5 stars.  Run, don't walk, to your nearest library!   

No comments:

Post a Comment