Tuesday, December 10, 2013

BRONZE GODS

Bronze Gods (Apparatus Infernum, #1)Book Review:  Bronze Gods

Author:  A.A. Aguirre
Published:  April 2013
Series:  Apparatus Infernum #1
Genre:  Adult Fantasy/Steampunk

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Janus Mikani and Celeste Ritsuko work for the Criminal Investigation Department, keeping citizens safe from things that go bump in the night. He’s a hardboiled cynic with an uncanny sixth sense; she’s determined to justify her promotion as the first female detective in her division. Together, they’re trying to keep a black tide from drowning the city.

But when the second body surfaces, murdered with the same type of infernal device, the entire CID must face the truth. There’s a madman on the loose, twining magic and blood… and only Mikani and Ritsuko can unravel the intricate, lethal conspiracy before the Royale killer completes his macabre plan, unleashing old, forbidden magic on an unsuspecting populace. If the maniac succeeds, it could mean the end of everything…



My Two Cents
So you may, or may not, have noticed the last name of the authors on Bronze Gods.  Yes, this is the one and the same Ann Aguirre who wrote the fantastic Enclave series.  Only her husband joins her for this steampunk fantasy debut.  Hence I was inclined the read Bronze Gods, despite the reviews.  First off, the worldbuilding is amazing in Bronze Gods.  I love the world Aguirre has created and I want more of it.  So much so that I'm willing to read more of this series, even if Bronze Gods was only so so.  In addition to the worldbuiling, the main characters Mikani and Ritsuko are instantly likeable, endearing even (even Mikani in his own weird way).  But I'm having a hard time putting my finger why I didn't absolutely love Bronze Gods.  I think the hints of magic were not enough for me, I really wanted more of the fae aspects.  And Bronze Gods didn't keep me turning the pages late into the night.  Don't get me wrong, I liked it, I just wasn't head over heels for it.  I'm awarding Bronze Gods 4 out of 5 stars.  I'd recommend it to people who love mystery and crime novels.  

No comments:

Post a Comment