Wednesday, November 20, 2013

WORLD AFTER

World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)Book Review:  World After

Author:  Susuan Ee
Published:  Yesterday
Series:  Penryn & the End of Days #2
Genre:  YA Paranormal/Sci-Fi

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?



My Two Cents 
I might be stripped of my wings after this review, but I think I'm the odd man out on this book.  While I really liked (but didn't love) Angelfall, I was interested to see what Penryn and Raffe were up to in World After.  And wait around I did (it took Ee 2 years to publish this sequel).  And I think possibly she should have waited longer to add more to World After and finesse some plot details.  But before I rip this book a new one, let's get a few things straight.  Raffe and Penryn are not even together fighting until the last 25% of the book and I don't even get a kiss from these two.  The nerve of some people right?  But in all honesty, I'm fine with Penryn fighting on her own and Raffe not handing out kisses like pretzels.  However, there wasn't a whole lot going on in this book either.  Penryn has possession of Raffe's sword which goes all high-fantasy on us and shows Penryn how to fight and what Raffe has been feeling toward her.  Which is really just a glorified way of having the story told from Raffe's point of view.  Which I'd be ok with except the majority of what the sword is showing us happened in the first book.  Shouldn't this be in a short novella, and not taking up major space in the second book?

Do you ever feel like some authors have a great idea, they write the first book and then they have no idea how to fill in a trilogy or even finish the series?  Why do we even have to have a trilogy, couldn't we just have a stand alone or even two books?  Because that's what it felt like in World After, and not a lot of pertinent plot questions were answered, or even addressed.  Penryn is trying to get her family back together (wait, didn't we just do this in the first book)?  When is Raffe going to get more angels on his side to fight the bad ones and shouldn't he be chasing down demon offspring instead of getting even for his wings (which he still hasn't gotten)?  Why aren't more people rebelling against the angels instead of being corralled and turned into locusts?  And I'm dreading the ending.  With so many questions to be answered (including the one between Penryn and Raffe... can they even be together?), is there even an acceptable ending in sight?

Readers should know that this series is a bit graphic and very gruesome, and I'm only awarding World After 3 out of 5 stars, which is pretty generous in my opinion.  If you want fighting and enjoy a good half-man, half-scorpion looking creature, then World After is for you.  If you want your questions answered, well, you're better off seeking it through divine intervention. 

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you didn't like this book! I really liked it. I do agree with you on the trilogies. WHY does every book HAVE to turn into a trilogy? So many good books were ruined because the author had to drag them out into nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I really wanted to love it! Maybe I'm getting easily annoyed right now by books...

    ReplyDelete