Thursday, November 7, 2013

THE BURNING SKY

The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1)Book Review:  The Burning Sky

Author:  Sherry Thomas
Published:  September 2013
Series:  The Elemental Trilogy #1
Genre:  YA Fantasy

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death.

Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to avenge the death of his family—even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal.

But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life.



My Two Cents
Ugh.  Where do I start?  Over the past 2 years as a feverish reader, I have found my pot-d-creme of the reading world is the YA fantasy genre.  I love it, and there does not seem to be enough books out there to satisfy my craving.  The Burning Sky has been on my fantasy radar for quite some time, so when I saw it on sale on EBAY for $6 a few weeks before it was released I pounced (please don't tell the hubby, he is a bit uptight right now with regards to the budget).  Turns out I should have passed.  And I'm drawing a blank on what I actually liked about this book.  So if you forced an answer to this question out of me, I think it would be the potential world Thomas tried to create.  Ouch, I realize!  Perhaps the thing that annoyed me the most (to the point of putting the book down for a good 2 months) was the switching in narration between Iolanthe and Titus.  My head was swimming from the back and forth, which oftentimes took place between sentences.  Onto the kissing.  Not to ruin anything, but the romance was weak and poorly developed.  Iolanthe keeps talking about how awful Titus is and then suddenly kisses him.  Definitely not a budding relationship in my opinion.  I also wished Iolanthe's powers were more properly developed.  Remember in Harry Potter how Harry (even being one of the least experienced wizards) somehow manages to thwart Voldemort?  Well Iolanthe's character (in trying to control the wind) sort of felt like a flashback to good old Harry Potter in that regard, and I was hoping she could stand on her own.  Overall, The Burning Sky was slow and lacked a real fire burning within its pages, 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment