Wednesday, November 13, 2013

ALLEGIANT

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)Book Review:  Allegiant

Author:  Veronica Roth
Published:  October 2013
Series:  Divergent #3
Genre:  YA Dystopian/Sci-Fi

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 



My Two Cents
What the freak just happened?  Really Roth?  Are you pulling my leg right now...this is how you decide to end the trilogy?  I'm honestly trying to get my thoughts in order, but it's difficult.  With the much anticipated ending to this series, I was itching to get my hands on Allegiant.  There was absolutely nothing in the blogosphere before this book was published.  Nada.  Zilch.  Not even a whisper of whether this was a good book.  And I can see why, with the ending the way it was.  I don't think many people would have read it if they knew what was going to happen.  So bravo Roth for increasing your revenue.  I'm simmering down now so let's get down to logistics...

Maybe it's just me, but I'm honestly sick of characters in YA fiction lately.  Either the main characters have a fight or something breaks their heart and they can't (or won't) talk about it.  They just storm out of the room.  Maybe this is typical teenage angst but a lot of the problems in Allegiant could (and should) have been solved by Tris and Four talking things out.  They did in the beginning...but that quickly ended.  Apart from my issues with the love birds, Roth had a lot of loose ends that she did not tie up.  I don't need everything in a book handed to me, but I really felt Roth rushed through writing in this book and didn't think about the loop holes.  SPOILERS!  DO NOT READ FURTHER UNLESS YOU HAVE READ THIS BOOK!  Take Tris's death.  She's really the only one in existence who is immune to the death serum?  Um why?  And why did she absolutely have to go through her mission to steal the memory serum right then and there (which ultimately lead to her death)?  Couldn't they have waited, at least until they knew the coast was clear?  And why did half of the Allegiant stay in the city?  Couldn't everyone who wanted to leave just leave?  Perhaps my biggest beef with this book was Four in the final pages.  Tris is gone, and even two years later it seems like Four is still lost, like he can't move on with his life.  An uplifting ending to a trilogy wouldn't you say?

Overall, I barely made it through this book, 2 out of 5 stars.  Yes I'm that harsh.  Roth's underlying message of forgiveness was not enough for me to forgive how she ended this much beloved series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment