Monday, November 11, 2013

ALL OUR YESTERDAYS

All Our Yesterdays (All Our Yesterdays #1)Book Review:  All Our Yesterdays

Author:  Cristin Terrill
Published:  September 2013
Series:  All Our Yesterdays #1
Genre:  YA Sci-Fi

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was. 



My Two Cents
Time travel.  Not my favorite subject in the reading world.  Yes, I've heard girls squeal in delight over the time traveling series Dr Who, but time traveling in books is a whole different ball park...which usually leaves me with a headache and my mind spinning.  And All Our Yesterdays ended no differently.  More about that in a moment.  This book is all based upon one question for me:  could you kill the person you love in order to save the world, or if you knew that person grew up to be evil?  In order to save her younger self, Em thinks she can pull the trigger...but after all she's been through (tortured, family and friends killed) she may not be able to.  Em was the character you fell in love with.  Not only did she have a hard time pulling the trigger (oh come on, you knew there would be difficulties), but you could tell she was a genuine, loving person.  Not so with her younger self.  Terrill did a fantastic job transitioning Marina into Em and likewise with James to future James.  Confused yet?  The one aspect I also loved in this book was the romance.  Some may label "love triangle" onto All Our Yesterdays, but to me, there was no a no contest choice, and eventually Em realizes that too.

I'm going to do something I usually don't do now...discuss the ending.  SKIP THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THIS BOOK!  It probably took me a good half an hour to figure out the ending (yes, I do have a degree in statistics and yes, I still had a really hard time).  It's the time travel thing that gets me.  In the end scene, younger Finn gets shot by the future James, and the younger James commits suicide.  So James ceases to exist but why does Finn still live on?  Because the future James wouldn't exist to shoot the younger Finn?  Can anyone verify this for me?  I'd be much obliged!

Overall, All Our Yesterdays was a well written, thrilling read 4.5 out of 5 stars once I had my "ducks in a row" so to speak with the time travel issue.  And finally, a time travel book with the romance properly done, especially with respect to the ending.  You won't be disappointed!      

No comments:

Post a Comment