Thursday, October 24, 2013

SCARLET

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)Book Review:  Scarlet

Author:  Marissa Meyer
Published:  February 2013
Series:  The Lunar Chronicles #2
Genre:  YA Science Fiction

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.



My Two Cents
While I appreciate Meyer's imaginative retake of popular fairy tales, I really have not been able to get into Cinder and now Scarlet.  I think I'm the odd man out on these books.  I absolutely love the setting in this series and the main character of this book, Scarlet, was the main reason I finished this book.  But I think the problem I have with this series is Cinder.  While she's not an annoying character, I didn't feel the romance between her and Kai in the first book, and now that is seeping problems into the second book.  But enough about Cinder, let's talk about the eccentric Scarlet, who was my saving grace in this book.  I loved her personality and determination (oftentimes stubborn) to save her grandmother.  Wolf, her partner in crime, is an enigma, and Scarlet's journey to trust him was my favorite part of the book.  That kiss in the jail cell?  Yowsa!  Can I get some more of that in the third book?  I enjoyed Scarlet more than Cinder, 4 out of 5 stars.  For me these books were not page-turners and I struggled to even finish, but I think young adult will enjoy them and anyone who loves a science fiction take on old childhood fairy tales.   

No comments:

Post a Comment