Wednesday, September 18, 2013

WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE

Where the Stars Still ShineARC Book Review:  Where the Stars Still Shine

Author:  Trish Doller
To-Be-Published:  September 24, 2013
Series:  No
Genre:  YA Contemporary

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Stolen as a child from her large and loving family, and on the run with her mom for more than ten years, Callie has only the barest idea of what normal life might be like. She's never had a home, never gone to school, and has gotten most of her meals from laundromat vending machines. Her dreams are haunted by memories she’d like to forget completely. But when Callie’s mom is finally arrested for kidnapping her, and Callie’s real dad whisks her back to what would have been her life, in a small town in Florida, Callie must find a way to leave the past behind. She must learn to be part of a family. And she must believe that love--even with someone who seems an improbable choice--is more than just a possibility.


My Two Cents
First I want to make a big shout out to NetGalley for letting me read this ARC.  Thank You!  

I'm having a hard time putting a finger on what didn't connect for me and this book.  I was really looking forward to reading Where the Stars Still Shine.  Every blogger I follow had glowing reviews for this book.  Unfortunately for me it felt incomplete and I am finding myself quickly forgetting the book altogether.  My only compliment about this book is Doller has a knack for writing about difficult and sometimes overlooked subjects in YA literature, and Where the Stars Still Shine is no different.  Callie's character was portrayed flawlessly, and her reactions and personality were believable based on her past.  Where the book fell flat for me was really the romantic interest Alex and some technicalities with the plot.  Alex comes out of nowhere and while he has difficulties of his own, we don't really know where they stem from.  I realize Callie and Alex are messed up individuals but I didn't connect with their whirlwind romance.  Aside from Alex, why did Callie's dad agree to not let her go to high school?  Isn't that required by law?  And I'm trying not to ruin the plot for anyone but why is allowing Alex's mother go to Alex's work Callie's fault?  Then there was the ending.  Let's just say if you thought Doller's other book (Something Like Normal) ended abruptly, this one has it beat!  Overall, Where the Stars Still Shine was a decent read, just not for me, 3 out of 5 stars.  If you're a Trish Doller fan this book will not disappoint.   

No comments:

Post a Comment