Friday, September 27, 2013

STILL STAR-CROSSED

Still Star-CrossedBook Review:  Still Star-Crossed

Author:  Melinda Taub
Published:  July 2013
Series:  No
Genre:  YA Historical Fiction

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Romeo and Juliet are gone. Will love live on? Despite the glooming peace that's settled on Verona after the recent tragedy, Montagues and Capulets are brawling in the streets. Faced with more bloody battles, Prince Escalus concludes that the only way to truly marry the fortunes of these two families is to literally marry them together. Everyone is skeptical, but none more so than the pair selected, for the most eligible Montague bachelor is Benvolio, Romeo's best friend, still anguished by the loss of his companions, and the chosen Capulet maid is Juliet's older cousin Rosaline, the girl Romeo first loved and whose refusal of Romeo's affection paved the way for bloodshed. Contrary to their late cousins, there's no love lost between Benvolio and Rosaline, yet they forge a bond to end the renewed feud not only to escape their forced betrothal, but to save their lives and the city of Verona itself.


My Two Cents
I really took a gamble on this one as no blogger that I follow has read this one yet.  Was it a good read?  For the most part yes.  Did it keep me turning the pages?  Definitely.  You know I'm a sucker for historical fiction so when I saw this book based upon the story of Romeo and Juliet, I couldn't say no.  And it really was entertaining, and had my heart swooning during the romance parts.  I think the reason I'm not giving this book higher praises has to do with the dreaded love triangle and some minor aspects of believability.  Yes, there is a love triangle in this book, and unless it's done right I usually don't finish the book at all.  But this one is subtle and Taub does the respectable thing and has Rosaline choose between the two boys.  Bravo Taub!  One potentially major flaw in this book could be the believability with respect the the dire state of the city of Verona.  You sort of have to take Taub's word that the prince cares deeply about the city (even though he's really young and we don't have much background on him) and that a marriage between the feuding houses (the prince's idea) really is the only course of action for peace.  Did Taub sell me on these points?  Sort of.  But I can see where a lot of people may not be so trusting.  Other than that I only would have liked more romance between Rosaline and her "chosen one" (I'm trying not to give anything away) before they become engaged.  Picky aren't I?  Overall, I'm still awarding Still Star-Crossed 4 out of 5 stars.  It held my attention, and I know it will catch the attention of romance and Shakespeare fans alike.  

No comments:

Post a Comment