Monday, September 23, 2013

CROWN OF MIDNIGHT

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)Book Review:  Crown of Midnight

Author:  Sarah J. Maas
Published:  August 2013
Series:  Throne of Glass #2
Genre:  YA Fantasy

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king's contest to become the new royal assassin. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown – a secret she hides from even her most intimate confidantes.

Keeping up the deadly charade—while pretending to do the king's bidding—will test her in frightening new ways, especially when she's given a task that could jeopardize everything she's come to care for. And there are far more dangerous forces gathering on the horizon -- forces that threaten to destroy her entire world, and will surely force Celaena to make a choice.   

Where do the assassin’s loyalties lie, and who is she most willing to fight for?


My Two Cents
I wasn't in love with Maas's predecessor, Throne of Glass, mainly due to my loathing of love triangles.  I expected Crown of Midnight to be good, hopefully better than Throne of Glass, I just didn't expect it to knock my socks off!  Where so many 2nd books in a trilogy are aggravating, Maas was able to somewhat settle the love triangle, treat me to swoon-worthy romance, and set up the third book nicely not only in action and plot, but once again the romance aspect.  And I want that 3rd book, like yesterday!  Celaena sometimes grated on my nerves in Throne of Glass.  But in Crown of Midnight Celaena is still that arrogant yet deadly assassin, but her character deepens, allowing us to see a deadlier side (which I never thought possible) and a softer side (especially with Chaol).  And speaking of Chaol...  Where do I get one?  But Maas does far more than deepen Celaena's character in this book.  The plot thickens in respect to the fantasy side, and Celaena does far more killing of the evil, demented creatures known only in nightmares.  If you can't tell already, I loved Crown of Midnight, 5 out of 5 stars, and I HIGHLY recommend this series as long as you can make it through the love triangle of the first book.  I love me a good female butt-kicker!

No comments:

Post a Comment