Wednesday, August 14, 2013

THE FIREBIRD

The FirebirdBook Review:  The Firebird

Author:  Susanna Kearsley
Published:  June 2013
Series:  Slains (but do NOT have to be read in order)
Genre:  Historical Fiction/Time Travel

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Nicola Marter was born with a gift: when she touches an object, she sometimes glimpses those who have owned it before. When the gallery she works in receives a wooden carving she can see the object’s history and knows that it was named after the Firebird, the mythical bird that inspires an old Russian fairytale and was once owned by Russia’s famed Empress Catherine.

Nicola’s investigation into the Firebird’s origin draws her into the 1715 world of Anna Logan and leads her on a quest through Scotland, France and Russia, unearthing a tale of love and sacrifice, of courage and redemption.



My Two Cents
Honestly time travel is one of least favorite topics in the fantasy realm.  I try to avoid it.  But Goodreads had glowing reviews for The Firebird and the introduction sounded promising.  I even stepped out of my usual YA fiction to read this!  And let me just say, if you have the patience, you will love The Firebird.  The only downfall of this book is the first 300 pages.  Talk about slow.  I realize Kearsley had some major character building to do (especially since there are two separate stories to keep track of) but things really didn't get interesting for me until the last 250 pages.  But it was worth the wait!  The history and detail in both time era's was rich, adding to the story of Nicola and Anna.  What I probably loved the most though was the journey taken by both Nicola and Anna, and their tales of love.  And of course their male counterparts were definitely swoon worthy, my favorite being Anna's Edmund.  The Firebird would make a wonderful choice for a book club read, or those hopeless romantics like me.  Just keep trekking through the first half!  The Firebird is getting 4.5 out of 5 stars from me!    

No comments:

Post a Comment