Friday, August 9, 2013

THE DEFIANCE

The Defiance (Brilliant Darkness, #2)Book Review:  The Defiance

Author:  A.G. Henley
Published:  July 2013
Series:  Brilliant Darkness #2
Genre:  YA Dystopian

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
It hasn't been long since Fennel, a Sightless Groundling, and Peree, her Lofty Keeper, fell in love and learned the truth: the Scourge, and their world, are not what they seem.

Fenn and Peree are determined to guide their people to the protected village of Koolkuna, but first they must convince them that everything they believe is a lie. An impossible task, especially when someone seems hell-bent on trying anything--even animal sacrifice and arson--to destroy the couple's new bond and crush the frail truce between the Groundlings and the Lofties. Not everyone wants to uproot their lives in the forest, and those who stay behind will be left terribly vulnerable.

Fenn and Peree's resolve to be together, and the constant threat of the Scourge's return, push both groups to the breaking point. Unable to tell friend from foe, Fenn must again decide how much she's willing to sacrifice to ensure the future of the people of the forest.

Only this time, the price of peace may be too high to bear.



My Two Cents
I love the world A.G. Henley created within this series.  Recently I have found myself bored by the YA dystopian genre, but Henley offered a fresh new perspective on the "end of the world" and I love it.  It also helps that I adore the main characters, Fenn and Peree.  Now this is the second book in a trilogy so I was weary because, well second books have a reputation of being a hot mess!  But The Defiance was different.  Peree and Fenn weren't fighting, and their task of convincing their people to follow them to the "land of promise" was becoming deadly, at least for Fenn.  And on top of all that there was a mole in their midst.  This book definitely held my attention.  So with everything going for this book, you'd think I would give it glowing reviews?  Enter my qualm.  I really feel like this series should have ended with this book.  Out of nowhere, within the last 2 pages, Henley sets this series up for a third book.  Poor planning in my opinion.  The mystery that takes us into the third book should have probably been brought up in the first book, or at the very least in the beginning of the second.  Thus, The Defiance is only getting 4 out of 5 stars from me.  But really, a good series if you are still interested in the dystopian genre!   

No comments:

Post a Comment