Wednesday, August 7, 2013

STAR CURSED

Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #2)Book Review:  Star Cursed

Author:  Jessica Spotswood
Published:  June 2013
Series:  The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2
Genre:  YA Fantasy

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
With the Brotherhood persecuting witches like never before, a divided Sisterhood desperately needs Cate to come into her Prophesied powers. And after Cate's friend Sachi is arrested for using magic, a war-thirsty Sister offers to help her find answers—if Cate is willing to endanger everyone she loves.

Cate doesn't want to be a weapon, and she doesn't want to involve her friends and Finn in the Sisterhood's schemes. But when Maura and Tess join the Sisterhood, Maura makes it clear that she'll do whatever it takes to lead the witches to victory. Even if it means sacrifices. Even if it means overthrowing Cate. Even if it means all-out war.



My Two Cents
The first book in this series, Born Wicked was pretty good.  Not over-the-top exciting until the very last chapter, and there was, gasp, a bit of a love-triangle.  Well after reading Star Cursed I am happy to report the love triangle has ended and Cate and Finn's relationship has deepened (which it probably should have done in the first book instead of the second).  A lot of reviewers thought Star Cursed would be action-packed, which I am sad to report it wasn't, unless you count the last 50 pages.  And yes, Spotswood left us with another cliff-hanger involving Finn and Cate.  All I have to say about that is WHY?  While I thought Star Cursed was a good follow-up to Born Wicked I'm finding the series kind of MEH and the endings so shocking that half my hair is gone.  But at least this book doesn't suffer from the dreaded Second-Book-Dilemma, Cate and Finn are at each others throats in a different sort of way... kissing, ahem.  But if you like witches I'm willing to recommend this series to you.  I'm giving Star Cursed 4 out of 5 stars, while enjoyable there could have been more action on Cate's part.  Sorry my review was kind of sporadic and non-descriptive, that's kind of how my life is at the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment