Thursday, August 22, 2013

SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL

Something Like NormalBook Review:  Something Like Normal

Author:  Trish Doller
Published:  2012
Series:  No!
Genre:  YA Contemporary

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
When Travis returns home from a stint in Afghanistan, his parents are splitting up, his brother’s stolen his girlfriend and his car, and he’s haunted by nightmares of his best friend’s death. It’s not until Travis runs into Harper, a girl he’s had a rocky relationship with since middle school, that life actually starts looking up. And as he and Harper see more of each other, he begins to pick his way through the minefield of family problems and post-traumatic stress to the possibility of a life that might resemble normal again. Travis’s dry sense of humor, and incredible sense of honor, make him an irresistible and eminently lovable hero.


My Two Cents
I know I know, why did I read this book?  But I actually thought out my reasons, the main one being Trish Doller has a book coming out soon that is getting rave reviews.  So I thought I'd experience her writing style and see what all the hype is surrounding this author.  While I thought the intricacies of the plot were original due to Travis's service in the army, I must admit this book really fell flat for me.  I realize Travis is a tragic character but I thought he was tool for most of the book.  The one thing I really disliked however was the ending.  It just ended.  It felt incomplete and I really don't think Travis's PTSD was really addressed and resolved correctly (and no, having a swell girlfriend should not cure PTSD).  I really hope Doller's upcoming novel is a whole lot better!  Overall, Something Like Normal is getting 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment