Tuesday, July 23, 2013

SHADOWFELL

Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)Book Review:  Shadowfell

Author:  Juliet Marillier
Published:  2012
Series:  Shadowfell #1
Genre:  YA Fantasy

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Sixteen-year-old Neryn is alone in the land of Alban, where the oppressive king has ordered anyone with magical strengths captured and brought before him. Eager to hide her own canny skill--a uniquely powerful ability to communicate with the fairy-like Good Folk--Neryn sets out for the legendary Shadowfell, a home and training ground for a secret rebel group determined to overthrow the evil King Keldec.
 

During her dangerous journey, she receives aid from the Good Folk, who tell her she must pass a series of tests in order to recognize her full potential. She also finds help from a handsome young man, Flint, who rescues her from certain death--but whose motives in doing so remain unclear. Neryn struggles to trust her only allies. They both hint that she alone may be the key to Alban's release from Keldec's rule. Homeless, unsure of who to trust, and trapped in an empire determined to crush her, Neryn must make it to Shadowfell not only to save herself, but to save Alban.


My Two Cents
I realize I don't have merit to make this statement (I've only read Daughter of the Forest) but I am a huge Juliet Marillier fan, and this book was no exception.  I love, love, love Neryn.  Naive yes, but she also follows her heart and is weary of trusting just anyone, including her mysterious knight-in-shining-armor Flint.  Oh can we talk about Flint!  Marillier is quick to point out that Flint is not a handsome one, but boy, by the end of this book there isn't much a girl like me wouldn't do to get a piece of Flint.  I mean, come on, the man takes care of Neryn on her deathbed for almost a month, won't even leave her side!  He even carries her outside to the bathroom!  If that's not love, I don't know what is!  Okay so as you can see I'm easily swayed by a dedicated and unselfish knight.  But because he wears the sign of the King, Neryn can't trust him.  And it's killing both of us!  Now as far as the story goes, it is pretty typical Marillier.  Neryn is on her own for most of the book (lots of character building) and we learn a lot about the magical people in this fantasy.  This is not a fast-paced thriller type of book so don't go into it expecting to cruise right through it.  But I know I highly enjoyed it and can't wait to read Raven Flight, the next book in the trilogy.  I'm awarding Shadowfell 5 out of 5 stars, and perhaps my high rating was SLIGHTLY influenced by Flint.  Okay a lot influenced, but there is a lot more to Shadowfell than just my man candy!  

1 comment:

  1. Man, I loved Flint as well. Great review. I have Shadowfell on my nightstand. . .and you will love any Marillier book you pick up!

    ReplyDelete