Friday, July 5, 2013

SAVING WISHES

Saving Wishes (The Wishes Series #1)Book Review:  Saving Wishes

Author:  G.J. Walker-Smith
Published:  February 2013
Series:  The Wishes Series #1
Genre:  YA Contemporary

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
For Charli Blake, being seventeen is a tough gig.
 

She's been branded a troublemaker, her reputation is in tatters and she's stuck in Pipers Cove, a speck of a town on the coast of Tasmania.  Thankfully, it's temporary. Her lifelong dream of travelling the world is just months away from becoming reality. All she has to do is ride out the last few months of high school, which is easier said than done thanks to a trio of mean girls known as The Beautifuls.
 

When Adam Décarie arrives in town, all the way from New York, life takes an unexpected turn. His arrival sets off a chain of events that alters her life forever, convincing her of one thing. Fate brought him to her.


My Two Cents
First of all, thank you to NetGalley for letting me read this book!  Okay now down to business.  Let me start off with what I loved about the book.  The setting was perfect.  I fell in love with the small beach town in Tasmania.  Charli was equally charming, in her own way.  She definitely was seventeen, but her personality was unique and endearing.  Now my qualms about this book.  Adam and Charli fell for each other way too fast, even despite Charli's efforts to keep him away.  More than their relationship, I think I had a hard time with Adam.  He's only a few years older than Charli, but the guy was way too perfect to be believable.  And he's rich.  I expected him to have a little more difficulty adjusting to life in Tasmania without maids and butlers.  But his adaptation skills are flawless as we don't learn just how "loaded" he is until the end of the book.  With Adam rubbing me the wrong way, the redeeming factor to this book was the ending.  Do not expect a typical YA contemporary ending.  Charli totally surprises me with her decision regarding Adam and what she wants her life to be.  I was ready to write this book off, but because of Charli's choice, I'm interested to see how things go down for her.  Saving Wishes is getting 3.5 out of 5 stars from me.  And I hope to see more of Charli's quirky personality in the next installment!     

No comments:

Post a Comment