Thursday, July 25, 2013

EDENBROOKE

Edenbrooke: A Proper RomanceBook Review:  Edenbrooke

Author:  Julianne Donaldson
Published:  2012
Series:  No
Genre: YA Historical Romance

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
Marianne Daventry will do anything to escape the boredom of Bath and the amorous attentions of an unwanted suitor. So when an invitation arrives from her twin sister, Cecily, to join her at a sprawling country estate, she jumps at the chance. Thinking she’ll be able to relax and enjoy her beloved English countryside while her sister snags the handsome heir of Edenbrooke, Marianne finds that even the best laid plans can go awry.

From a terrifying run-in with a highwayman to a seemingly harmless flirtation, Marianne finds herself embroiled in an unexpected adventure filled with enough romance and intrigue to keep her mind racing. Will she be able to rein in her traitorous heart, or will a mysterious stranger sweep her off her feet? Fate had something other than a relaxing summer in mind when it sent Marianne to Edenbrooke.



My Two Cents
Before I start squealing my heart out over the romance aspect of this book I have to get a few things off my chest.  First, this novel really wasn't historical.  The subtle details about the setting in 1800-ish England I didn't pick up on and I really didn't believe people would have a duel over a misplaced girl?  Can anyone verify this for me?  Second I would have liked a little more character development with Marianne.  And then could someone please smack some sense into her toward the ending?  Okay enough about my weird quirks, now let's get to the good part; the romance.  How can two people not even be kissing and I get all hot and bothered (and maybe start squealing like a 13-year old girl)?  Donaldson has mastered this feeling for me.  Philip was truly a guy to be swooning over.  And his flirting?  Hot dang!  Can I put a paper full of Edenbrooke pick-ups underneath my husband's pillow and maybe some will soak into his brain overnight?  Here's to wishful thinking!  Overall my hangups really didn't get the best of me because I'm awarding Edenbrooke 4.5 out of 5 stars.  Philip and Marianne are going down as one of my favorite couples of all time (cue my husband's eyeroll)!

No comments:

Post a Comment