Friday, July 26, 2013

BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1)ARC Book Review:  Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Author:  April Genevieve Tucholke
To-Be-Published:  August 15, 2013
Series:  Between #1
Genre:  YA Horror

The Setting - Taken from Goodreads
You stop fearing the devil when you’re holding his hand…

Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town…until River West comes along. River rents the guesthouse behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard. Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more? Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery...who makes you want to kiss back. Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.



My Two Cents
I will be the first to admit that I am a wimp.  I scare way too easily.  Just ask my parents...they still can't find their copy of E.T..  That movie scared the living daylight out of me.  I did the logical thing and hid it.  So it should come to no surprise from those who know me that I generally stay away from the zombie/horror genre.  But I'm glad I took a chance on this one, and really I'm not sure how to accurately describe it.  Demented, devilish and haunting would be three words to sum up Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.  Violet is our main heroine who really isn't afraid of things that go bump in the night.  She's awkward and a little morbid but definitely loveable.  River on the other hand is mysterious and somewhat creepy, I could never get a read on the guy throughout the whole book.  And I guess that's what Tucholke intended, because between that, my goosebumps, and the morbid killing/mysterious visions in the story, I really couldn't put this book down.  Just to be warned; this is not a story for the faint of heart.  Violet encounters some pretty horrifying things, not that I'm going to give any of those encounters away, but just be prepared.  I think you would like Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea if you enjoyed The Madman's Daughter.  I'm glad to see that this book will be a series.  There are so many unanswered questions and still questionable characters that need to be cleared up.  Overall, a highly creepy book, 4.5 out of 5 stars.  This would be an awesome Halloween read!     

2 comments:

  1. I've been glancing through reviews of this book and it seems like a must read. I am always looking for something good to read around Halloween and while I'm not sure I'll be able to wait that long - what a great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a must read...especially if you're open-minded about plots and characters. This book is definitely original! Thanks for reading my review!

      Delete