Wednesday, May 8, 2013

WHISPERS IN AUTUMN

Whispers in Autumn (The Last Year, #1)Book Review:  Whispers in Autumn

Author:  Trisha Leigh
Published:  2012
Series:  The Last Year #1
Genre:  YA Sci-Fi

This book was recommended to me by a book blogger I follow.  Pretty cover, but boy was I blindsided by the aliens in this book.  I'm not against aliens, but I just realized my read-bookshelf is sparsely populated in this genre.  Hope these aliens convert me a little...  The Setting paragraph is from Goodreads which probably means it's from the publisher.

The Setting
In 2015, a race of alien Others conquered Earth. They enslaved humanity not by force, but through an aggressive mind control that turned people into contented, unquestioning robots.

Except sixteen-year-old Althea isn’t content at all, and she doesn’t need the mysterious note inside her locket to tell her she’s Something Else. It also warns her to trust no one, so she hides the pieces that make her different, even though it means being alone.

Then she meets Lucas, everything changes.  Althea and Lucas are immune to the alien mind control, and together they search for the reason why. What they uncover is a stunning truth the Others never anticipated, one with the potential to free the brainwashed human race.

It’s not who they are that makes them special, but what.  And what they are is a threat. One the Others are determined to eliminate for good.



What I LIKED about this book
It was a fairly fast-paced, entertaining read.  The aliens were mysterious and therefore frightening, and I feel like we still have a lot to learn about them and their control.

Althea (and more often Lucas) were strong protagonists.  They needed to figure out a way to escape on their own, no one really came to their aid or fought their battles for them.  The chemistry between Lucas and Althea was sweet, although in the upcoming series I'd like to see their relationship strengthen and learn to harness their talents.

What I DISLIKED about this book
The way the aliens controlled the humans reminded me a bit too much of the popular series Delirium.  And I know a lot of you out there are saying "and that's bad?..."  I just hope this book can distinguish itself from the Delirium series and we see more of the sci-fi elements of Althea's story.  

Like I said above, the aliens are still a bit of a mystery to me.  How do they survive, what do they survive on?  This may not be a bad thing as long as we learn more about it in the upcoming books.  Also in the beginning of this book there was a lot of info-dumping, i.e. explanation of politics, world, family life, etc.  I just hope we know enough about the background now and can skip the downpour of information all at once.

Parting Thoughts
Overall I thought Whispers in Autumn was an entertaining read, 4 out of 5 stars.  I will read the next book in the series, for I hear it is better than the first (which does not happen often in a series).  And let's be honest, I need more Lucas time (don't tell me husband)!  I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys YA science fiction, romance or for fans of Delirium.  

No comments:

Post a Comment