Monday, May 27, 2013

VACATION MINI REVIEW #3

Jellicoe RoadBook Review:  Jellicoe Road

Author:  Melina Marchetta
Published:  2010
Series:  No
Genre:  YA Contemporary

The Setting - taken from Goodreads
At age eleven, Taylor Markham was abandoned by her mother. At fourteen, she ran away from boarding school, only to be tracked down and brought back by a mysterious stranger. Now seventeen, Taylor's the reluctant leader of her school's underground community, whose annual territory war with the Townies and visiting Cadets has just begun. This year, though, the Cadets are led by Jonah Griggs, and Taylor can't avoid his intense gaze for long. To make matters worse, Hannah, the one adult Taylor trusts, has disappeared. But if Taylor can piece together the clues Hannah left behind, the truth she uncovers might not just settle her past, but also change her future.

My Two Cents
I really, really do not care for YA contemporary.  Usually it's some love story taking place in high school.  I've been to high school and frankly I really don't care to go back, or relive any hyper-active hormones.  But Marchetta did a wonderful job pulling me into this story.  For the first 100 pages you are utterly confused about the setting of this book.  And while I've heard a lot of negative reviews about the confusion, it actually made me want to pick up the book to figure out what on earth was going on.  While I'm not a fan of Marchetta's fantasy series (Finnikin of the Rock), I can't argue that she is a master storyteller, writer, and has a way of bringing to life fictional characters.  I truly fell in love with Taylor and Jonah.  Their relationship felt real to me considering they were high school age, and the hardships they faced were heartbreaking to me, the reader.  While I'm a fan of this story, not everyone will enjoy Marchetta's work.  Swearing, abuse, and implied sex were all present in Jellicoe Road.  This book is more suited for older teenagers and avid adult readers like me.  There are no action scenes or magical wizards, however it was Marchetta's characters that won me over, 4 out of 5 stars.  Really a considerably high rating coming from someone who avoids this genre like the plague!   

No comments:

Post a Comment