Wednesday, May 22, 2013

THE BITTER KINGDOM

The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)ARC Book Review:  The Bitter Kingdom

Author:  Rae Carson
To Be Published:  August 27, 2013
Series:  Fire and Thorns #3 (final book in trilogy)
Genre:  YA Fantasy

If you are a fan of fantasy and you have not read the Fire and Thorns series yet, then there is seriously something wrong with you (and don't go blaming your parents)!  Rae Carson has proven she's a writer to be reckoned with, for not only did she write a phenomenal ending to this series, but the second book was just as good, if not better than the first.  Not many writers in the realm of trilogies can say that.  So when I saw this book for sale on Ebay, my pocketbook couldn't say no (somehow I always know what I want)!  The Setting paragraph is from Goodreads which means it's probably from the publisher.

The Setting
Elisa is a fugitive in her own country. Her enemies have stolen the man she loves in order to lure her to the gate of darkness. As she and her daring companions take one last quest into unknown enemy territory to save Hector, Elisa will face hardships she's never imagined. And she will discover secrets about herself and her world that could change the course of history. She must rise up as champion-a champion to those who have hated her most.   


What I LIKED about this book
Carson did not disappoint!  This last book was action packed and had twists at every turn.  I must confess the first third of The Bitter Kingdom was a little slow and agonizing for me, mostly because of the relationship between Hector and Elisa.  And while we're on the subject of Hector and Elisa...WOW!  What a couple!  I giggled like a school girl through most of their conversations.  Their chemistry in this last book is definitely expanded upon and therefore the relationship was that much more sweeter for me.  Now I know a lot of you are worried about the ending and Hector...seeing as Elisa's first love, Humberto was killed.  Carson is not afraid of writing heart-wrenching endings.  Without giving away spoilers, all I will say is the ending had my heart on fire!  Sorry, my lips are sealed...that's all you're going to get! 

What I DISLIKED about this book
I know fantasy books are action-packed, but I felt like there was a little too much going on in The Bitter Kingdom.  Elisa and her friends were always in some kind of peril, and were constantly traveling back and forth to save something or someone.  Which leads me to my next point.  Elisa pretty much always got her way.  Oh sure, there were times when friends were hurt or Elisa had to get herself out of a pickle, but Elisa was always triumphant.  I think I would have liked a nail-biting, unforeseen outcome to a problem rather than several quick "you know she gets out of this" obstacles.  Does that make any sense?

Parting Thoughts
The Bitter Kingdom was a fantastic ending to an remarkable trilogy, 4.5 out of 5 stars.  Rae Carson fans already know they have to get their little paws on this book in August.  What are the rest of you waiting for?  Go pick up this series!  I would recommend this series to fans of fantasy, and if you enjoyed Graceling, Finnikin of the Rock or books by Tamora Pierce.  I'm sad to see this trilogy end, but maybe I'll get lucky and Carson will write something else?  Hey, a girl can dream!    

1 comment:

  1. agree. in every way. i waited to read your review in full, until after i had read it. i think we must be "kindred book spirits."

    ReplyDelete