Wednesday, May 15, 2013

SHADOWS ON THE MOON

Shadows on the MoonBook Review:  Shadows on the Moon

Author:  Zoe Marriott
Published:  2011
Series:  I Wish!
Genre:  YA Fantasy

Once again this book was recommended to me because I loved Graceling (seriously Cashore, you need to write another series just for me).  Very mixed reviews on this one but I decided to give it a shot.  The Setting paragraph is from Goodreads which probably means it's from the publisher.

The Setting
Suzume is a shadow-weaver. She can create mantles of darkness and light, walk unseen in the middle of the day, change her face. She can be anyone she wants to be. Except herself.  Suzume died officially the day the Prince's men accused her father of treason. Now even she is no longer sure of her true identity.  Is she the girl of noble birth living under the tyranny of her mother’s new husband, Lord Terayama? A lowly drudge scraping a living in the ashes of Terayama’s kitchens? Or Yue, the most beautiful courtesan in the Moonlit Lands?  Everyone knows Yue is destined to capture the heart of a prince. Only she knows that she is determined to use his power to destroy Terayama.  And nothing will stop her. Not even love.



What I LIKED about this book
I loved Suzume.  She was far from perfect, and made one major mistake among others, but she was likeable and sometimes very relate-able.  Her story is one of heartbreak, then revenge, but finally forgiveness and happiness.  I loved that Suzume was able to adapt to any situation she was in, and her character changed when her surroundings did.  Her love interest, Otieno, is something out of a fairy tale, but this is fantasy right?  He was almost too perfect.  He was patient and sweet, and throughout Suzume's journey he turned into a constant in her life.  Not many boys would stick around and wait for Suzume to wake up!

What I DISLIKED about this book
I have to say that this book was very predictable.  I knew from the instant Suzume fled from her home was was going to happen between her and her mother.  And of course her step-father was insufferable.  Also I was able to pick out who Suzume would end up with and if she would truly get her revenge she fought so hard for.

The last thing that irked me is just a minor complication.  Suzume frequently cuts herself to bring relief from her grief stricken world.  Otieno see's the marks on Suzume's body, and he himself is heavily marked on his skin but for a different reason.  Suzume never provided an explanation for the scars and I hope she is through with this heart-wrenching addiction.  But I would have liked to see a definite end to Suzume cutting. and maybe Otieno helping her overcome.  And I never really got that.  Minor abnormality I realize...

Parting Thoughts
Overall I highly enjoyed Shadows on the Moon, 4 out of 5 stars.  I would definitely recommend this to Cashore lovers and romantic fantasy fans.  I really wish there was a sequel.  Like I mentioned above I would like to see a few things cleared up a bit (and I'd like to spend some more time with my new book boyfriend Otieno)!    

No comments:

Post a Comment