Wednesday, May 1, 2013

GAMEBOARD OF THE GODS

Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1)ARC Book Review:  Gameboard of the Gods

Author:  Richelle Mead
Published:  2013
Series:  Age of X #1
Genre:  New Adult Paranormal Romance

So for those of you who don't know, Richelle Mead is the author of the popular Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series.  Neither of which I have read because I.  DON'T.  DO.  VAMPIRES.  I'll openly admit that I read and loved Twilight and The Mortal Instruments series, but after that I was completely done with vampires.  To be fair I'm also prejudice against books about angels.  Don't take it personally guys but you're so cliche.  I also should mention that this is the first book I have read in the "New Adult" category.  More on that later.  The Setting paragraph is courtesy of Goodreads which probably means it's from the publisher.

The Setting
In a futuristic world nearly destroyed by religious extremists, Justin March lives in exile after failing in his job as an investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims. But Justin is given a second chance when Mae Koskinen comes to bring him back to the Republic of United North America (RUNA). Raised in an aristocratic caste, Mae is now a member of the military’s most elite and terrifying tier, a soldier with enhanced reflexes and skills.

When Justin and Mae are assigned to work together to solve a string of ritualistic murders, they soon realize that their discoveries have exposed them to terrible danger. As their investigation races forward, unknown enemies and powers greater than they can imagine are gathering in the shadows, ready to reclaim the world in which humans are merely game pieces on their board.



What I LIKED about this book
I found the world building and plot fascinating and vividly clear.  Justin and Mae live in a both powerful yet deteriorating world.  I must admit I'd love to visit the RUNA but I don't think I'd go anywhere outside the borders or without my heavily armed guard, Mae.  I also enjoyed the amount of influence religion had on the newly formed government after the decline.  Mead had me intrigued with the concept of religion coinciding with biological advances. 

What I DISLIKED about this book
Really Mead is a veteran at what she does; writing suspense driven novels while carefully constructing plot and well-balanced characters.  I think my biggest qualm with this book had to do with the "New Adult" category.  Like I said before, I have not read a single book from this newly formed category.  But I don't think I'll venture to this category ever again.  Swearing and sex was abundant in this book.  "Adult Only" would be a more informative sorting.  I would have stopped reading this one if not for the plot and this book was gifted to me by a publisher.

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'll give Gameboard of the Gods 2 out of 5 stars.  The story was original but the swearing and sex deterred me a little too much.  I'd recommend this to any of Mead's more "adult" fans, and anyone out there who enjoys the "New Adult" listing.  Although I'd like to see how Justin and Mae fare I don't think I'll be following this series.  Maybe someone can give me the summary when they complete the series (without including the sex scenes the summary shouldn't be too long).  Gameboard of the Gods comes out June 4, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment