Wednesday, April 10, 2013

THE COLLECTOR

The Collector (Dante Walker, #1)Book Review:  The Collector

Author:  Victoria Scott
Published:  2013
Series:  Dante Walker #1
Genre:  YA Paranormal Romance

I really wanted this book.  I think I needed another guilty pleasure while I was waiting an eternity for Origin (by Jennifer Armentrout) to come out.  And I heard this narrator, Dante, was sort of like the angsty Daemon Black from Armentrout's Lux series, maybe a notch up in the annoying factor.  I requested this a month ago from the publisher but got denied.  Sigh.  But then I was approved on NetGalley and I was on cloud 9!  The Setting paragraph was taken from Goodreads which probably means it's from the publisher.

The Setting
Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence have made him one of hell’s best—a soul collector. His job is simple: weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.

Sealing souls is nothing personal. Dante’s an equal-opportunity collector and doesn't want it any other way. But he’ll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment:

Collect Charlie Cooper’s soul within ten days.

Dante doesn't know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that’s a permanent ticket out of hell. But after Dante meets the quirky Nerd Alert chick he’s come to collect, he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector…and uncover emotions deeply buried.



What I LIKED about this book
I've read demon versus angelic being books before, but luckily Scott put a fresh perspective on this sometimes tiring battle.  I loved that Dante and his friends could influence people for the worse and then collect their souls for the devil.  I loved the element of surprise too where they could be invisible yet still sense when one of them are near.  It had me guessing at times and kept you in suspense when the story needed it.
At first I found Dante's narrative irritating.  His "swagger" is a little too overly confident and sometimes was borderline obnoxious.  But after some humbling experiences you get used to Dante and come to love the guy, killer charm and all.  The heroine in this story is instantly likeable and relate-able, endearing you to her the first time you meet her.  She was the reason I pushed on when often times I wanted to push Dante off a cliff.

What I DISLIKED about this book
**SPOILER**  The ending I'm a little unsettled about.  It was one of the first times reading a book when I wanted to email the writer and persuade her to change the ending.  Why?  Throughout the book Charlie basically gives her soul to the devil just to be beautiful.  And, what a coincidence, Dante starts to like her after this transformation starts.  I realize he makes remarks about how he likes her smile and mouth before she went through the change but I would have liked the ending better had smokin' hot Dante ended up with normal, average Charlie, not the supermodel Charlie.  Maybe Charlie will go back to nerd extraordinaire, and for my sake I hope she does.  I think my rating of this book might change with the continuation of Charlie and Dante's story.

Parting Thoughts
Overall The Collector was a very entertaining read, 4 out of 5 stars.  This book may not be for everyone but is an extremely fast, enjoyable read with a fresh outlook on the whole angels and demons saga.  If you enjoyed Obsidian you will enjoy The Collector and I think Dante would give Daemon a run for his money.  Some foul language is used throughout the book (though what can you expect from a teenage boy's perspective?) so this book may not be suitable for young readers.  Like I said above my rating of this book could increase slightly with the continuation of the series.  It will be interesting to see how Scott continues the relationship between Charlie and Dante and if his 'flippin' awesome-ness will still ring true!

No comments:

Post a Comment