Monday, April 8, 2013

POISON

PoisonBook Review:  Poison

Author:  Bridget Zinn
Published:  2013
Series:  YA Fantasy

I saw this cover a couple of months ago and it was immediate "I want that!"  But upon further inspection there was a pig on the cover.  Oh no.  Don't tell me the pig is the heroine's friend and accomplice?  I don't have anything against pigs...except I occasionally enjoy good, crispy, melt-in-your-mouth bacon.  But this seemed a little juvenile.  And my second hint should have been that Poison was published by DISNEY Hyperion.  Oh Disney.  I must admit I'm as giddy as a school girl when I'm at one of your theme parks, but for the most part this book was written for the younger generation.  Emphasis on young.  Not that I'm an old hag, but I'd like to think my reading preference is SLIGHTLY more mature.  The Setting paragraph is from Goodreads which probably means it's courtesy from the publisher.

The Setting
Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?



What I LIKED about this book
For the most part this book was really entertaining.  I loved the fantasy aspect, especially Kyra as a potion's master.  The ghouls and witches were all up my scary alley.  And the relationship between Fred and Kyra was awkward at times but sweet and easy (not that type of easy, get your head out of the gutter!  This is a Disney book remember?).  And surprise, surprise I actually liked the pig!

What I DISLIKED about this book
The plot and obstacles were a bit too obvious and easily predicted.  I thought the ending was rushed and really could have been expanded upon, or saved for a second book.

Parting Thoughts
Overall Poison wasn't a bad book, just not for me, 3 out of 5 stars.  It lacked intricate plot design and description, but would be perfect for a younger audience.  I would recommend this book to any young, teenage girl and I think they would giggle and squeal (not to be confused with oink) over it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment