Wednesday, April 24, 2013

KISS OF FIRE

Kiss of Fire (Imdalind #1)Book Review:  Kiss of Fire

Author:  Rebecca Ethington
Published:  2012
Series:  Imdalind #1
Genre:  YA Paranormal Romance

A blogger I follow had gushing reviews for this series.  And the author is from Utah!  So I had to give it a chance, seeing as us Utahns need to stick together.  The Setting paragraph is from Goodreads which probably means it's courtesy the publisher.

The Setting
Joclyn Despain has been marred by a brand on her skin. She doesn't know why the mark appeared on her neck, but she doesn't want anyone to see it, including her best friend Ryland, who knows everything else about her. The scar is the reason she hides herself behind baggy clothes, and won't let the idea of kissing Ryland enter her mind, no matter how much she wants to.
The scar is the reason she is being hunted.

If only she knew that she was.

If only she had known that the cursed stone her estranged father sent for her 16th birthday would trigger a change in her. Now, she is being stalked by a tall blonde man, and is miraculously throwing her high school bully ten feet in the air.

Joclyn attempts to find some answers and the courage to follow her heart. When Ryland finds her scar; only he knows what it means, and who will kill her because of it.



What I LIKED about this book
I loved the relationship between Ryland and Joclyn.  They were childhood friends turned into something more, and it was entertaining, and sometimes uncomfortable, to watch their relationship turn into something romantic.  It was a relief to learn that Joclyn also had the potential to use magic herself and therefore was not totally defenseless and in need of rescue constantly (although in the ending it felt like she was useless in defending herself against anything.  Joclyn, please don't turn into another Bella Swan!)  I also enjoyed Joclyn's friendships she made thus far in her journey.  Ilyan and Wyn are definitely some characters to watch in the upcoming books as they endeared themselves to me.

What I DISLIKED about this book
Okay I have a few gripes about this book.  First Joclyn.  She better learn to get a back bone, fast.  As mentioned above, she was a hinder in the final battle and her emotions leading up to the fight were out of control.  Get a grip girl!  I hope she stabilizes and finds herself in the next few books.

Second I would like more world building.  I need to learn more about these magical "humans" that have lived for thousands of years.  Are their powers dependent on their lineage?  How have they lived and survived when many have died?  And how is it that Ilyan has lived for a 1000+ years but still looks like he's in his twenties?

Lastly, I smell a love triangle in the second book!  I hate these!  Why oh why?!  And I learned this series is planned out for 5 books, meaning there probably is no end in sight for the wretched love triangle.  I don't like to be jerked around this way!  End this soon Ethington, because readers will tire of this over the course of 5 books (at least I know I will).

Parting Thoughts
Overall, Kiss of Fire was a fairly entertaining read, 3.5 out of 5 stars.  Points deducted for Joclyn and the love triangle I know is sneaking up on me.  Also I heard the 3rd book will be in Wyn's point of view, a friend of Joclyn's.  I know it's probably too late to voice my concern but Ethington please don't do this!  Have you read the final book in the Delirium series?  It was a hot mess, partially because a supporting character (friend) told the story from her point of view!  Might I suggest the point of view of Ryland or Ilyan?  I'll get off my soapbox now.  I'd recommend this book to fans of romance and the paranormal, perhaps fans of the Obsidian and The Collector series.  I think I'll read the next book in this series but I'm very hesitant.  For Ryland's sake, I need to know what happens next!     

No comments:

Post a Comment