Friday, April 19, 2013

FRIDAY'S FINISH IT OR FORGET IT

Double Header (I've had a rough week...I'm in a bit of a book slump)


Mila 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza

I really wanted to love this one.  A girl who discovers she was an experiment in artificial intelligence.  And to add to the coolness factor, she knows how to fight, I think!  But sadly some things just didn't connect for me in the first 100 pages.  To start off the relationship between Mila and Hunter, the new boy at school, was quick and seemed artificial to me, no pun intended.  It was love-at-first-sight, and Driza really didn't do anything to build this relationship.  They went from quietly sitting at lunch together to Mila pining away over Hunter every second, all within a day.  And I'm told the relationship during the rest of the book didn't get much better.  But my biggest qualm was Mila's attitude.  She was engineered to have feelings even though she was an android, but did that computer also set her age at annoying, always-in-the-right teenager?  Half the time I wanted to throttle Mila?  It seems to me, if I wanted an android with feelings and emotions, I would not create one in the teenager stage, who's emotions and actions are moody and illogical?  I'm just saying.  This was not properly explained to me and Mila was really getting on my nerves in the sensitivity department.  You would think Mila would want to talk to the only person who knows she's an android, her "mom",...but nooooo!

A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught

I think I'm done reading adult romance reads for awhile.  I just wanted a plot similar to Warprize, is that too much to ask people?!  I think for the most part, I like YA fiction because there's a lot more action and a lot less make-out/sex scenes.  But enough about me.  Here's how the story goes.  Scottish beauty Jenny and her sister are captured by English knights and await to be traded back to their clan.  The English leader, Royce, is feared throughout Scotland for his ruthlessness and blood-thirsty demeanor on the battle field.  But Jenny starts to see that Royce is admirable and courageous in his own way and the two start to fall in love.  Royce forces Jenny into a deal, he'll let her sister go if Jenny sleeps with him, thereby ruining her already "questionable" reputation and the rest of her life if she does it.  Enter huge problem #1.  Royce is supposed to be the admirable knight yet would ruin this girls' reputation, whom he has come to admire, by not keeping IT in his pants?  Does anyone else not see this as a problem?  How did this book get such high praise from Goodreads?  I'm sure Royce wises up eventually but I really don't see the hero I'm suppose to admire and swoon over.  End of story.  Could not finish.

So what do you guys think?  Should I finish or forget these two books?  (And by the way things are going, next weeks edition most definitely will be a double-header, if not triple or quadruple!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment