Friday, April 5, 2013

FRIDAY'S FINISH IT OR FORGET IT

The Holders (Holders, #1)The Holders by Julianna Scott

Initially the premise piqued my interest in this book.  It had the ingredients for a good fantasy; ancient race with supernatural powers, female protagonist with overlooked ability, potential romance...etc.  But halfway through this novel I just lost interest.  It felt like I had already read (and watched) this storyline over and over again with X-Men or Harry Potter.  The boarding school, while in a breathtaking setting, was not magical for me.  The romance fell flat, I didn't feel the friendship or sparks between Becca and Alex (especially when you found out that holders can have a special mate for which they are "meant-to-be").  Maybe I'm jaded.  But recently I am so sick of this instant "soul mate" connection which is a fancy fantasy term for insta-love.  What ever happened to dating or spending time with someone?  Why must the relationship go from shaking a person's hand to announcing your undying love all within the blink of an eye?  Really this book had potential, but mirrored so many other story lines and plots that I found very little original.  So what do you, my readers think?  Should I finish or forget The Holders?  

4 comments:

  1. Honesty, you should probably give up on this one, and I say that as someone who actually loved this book. However, if you aren't liking it half way though, it probably won't get any better for you. Though I am actually surprised at your opinion of the romance, I liked the fact that they actually spent time together before they got together and had real conversations. It was almost half way through the book before Becca said that she was falling for Alex. But that is just me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki! I'm thrilled to have someone give a response based on their love of the book! I see what you mean about the romance and I think maybe I should have been more grateful there was no love-triangle. I will say that I requested this book from my library so I'm sure others will read it and enjoy it just as much as you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. other story lines and plots that I found very little original. So what do you, my readers think? Should I finish or forget The Holders? Extra Bookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm going to have to agree with you! I was hoping for more!

      Delete