Monday, March 11, 2013

THE IRON KING

The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)Book Review:  The Iron King

Author:  Julie Kagawa
Published:  2010
Series:  The Iron Fey #1

This is a fantasy series I've had my eye on for a long time.  All the books are published for this series (which is a huge bonus) along with a companion series that recently started.  Now, I recently downloaded this book for my warm, sunny vacation to Florida.  Florida was a blast, but warm and sunny it was not.  And because of the plane ride I had mega reading time...now I'm majorly behind on reviews.  So forgive me!  The Setting paragraph comes straight from the publisher.  I'll try to be a better person on my next vacation and write a little more!

The Setting
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


What I LIKED about this book
This was a fast-paced enjoyable fantasy read.  Loads of action and intrigue, and handsome princes...  Meghan at the beginning was weak but through her journey was able to channel her strengths and unleash her new found power.  Comedic relief was found through her protector Puck.  Never really a dull moment in this book and kind of a huge cliff-hanger at the end!

What I DISLIKED about this book
I think there was a little too much going on in this book.  Meghan hoped from obstacle to obstacle rather quickly, and things always seemed to go her way.  I would have liked a few less problems and more description/strengthening of characters during those obstacles.

I really didn't feel the romance between Meghan and Ash.  It seemed rushed and superficial.  I'm hoping Kagawa will fix this in the second book.  But at least there wasn't a love triangle!

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'm going to award The Iron King 4 out of 5 stars.  Fantasy buffs will enjoy this series, but I'm hoping Kagawa's writing and plot development will improve with her books.  Still, Kagawa has created an entertaining and captivating novel.  I'm seeing mixed reviews for the second book in this series.  I think I'll still read it but it's not very high on my to-be-read list.  Now if only I could go to Florida again so I could read more...   

No comments:

Post a Comment