Friday, March 29, 2013

FRIDAY'S FINISH IT OR FORGET IT

To Stand Beside HerTo Stand Beside Her by B. Kristin McMichael


I loved the premise behind this book.  Hey I even loved the first few chapters of this book.  I was willing to forgo grammatical errors, but it soon became painfully clear that this book needed a lot more help than correcting punctuation.  This really could be an awesome book, worthy enough to stand (no pun intended) by Kristin Cashore's Graceling, but it needs some major revising.  Mostly just structure and character development.  Leila is the protagonist who refuses to stay in one place and denies any man the right to court her.  Yet in one short day she is wooed by a ruthless King and forced into marriage.  The independent Leila doesn't even really try to escape.  Plights to soften Leila's opinion of the King are obvious to the reader and Leila somehow trusts the words of a stranger rather than the King's actions.  After that relationship conversations between Leila and the King are predictable, even if you are confused about Leila's complete change of character from the first chapter.  I really could love this book, I'm even tempted to pick it up again because I love these types of stories.  But the loss of identity from both key characters really soured the book for me.  So should I Finish or Forget this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment