Friday, March 22, 2013

FRIDAY'S FINISH IT OR FORGET IT

Carnival of SoulsCarnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

AHHH!  I can't tell you how mad this novel made me!  I even vented to my husband (who politely nodded and pretended he cared).  First off, in a 300 page book, I was 220 pages in...and I had to stop.  I was so close.  But many things irked me, and one action alone that had me outraged.  First off, one of the lead protagonists Mallory.  Every waking hour outside of school her father was teaching her how to use a gun and self defense.  She carried knives and guns wherever she went, including a morning jog.  Yet, whenever in a tricky situation, she froze, neither throwing a punch or pulling a trigger.  It was like she couldn't stick up for herself even though she knew better.  Which brings me to my second gripe.  Mallory and Kaleb together.  Another, "once I kissed you I knew you were mine" type of relationship.  **SPOILER** Which I could kind of go with except after a few kisses Kaleb went and married Mallory with a promise to "breed" her in the next year without Mallory even knowing.  And oh yeah, he had to "consummate" the marriage with some random chick so the marriage could be binding.  And that's where I ended it!  I couldn't finish the last 80 pages I was so miffed!  Maybe it was the word "breed" that turned me off, but the whole situation was just stupid, unnecessary and sooo disturbing  Don't get me wrong, I love a deliciously "dark" book, but this was just wrong on so many levels.  I don't think I'm going to ask your opinion on this one.  Carnival of Souls was just flat out a FORGET IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment