Wednesday, March 20, 2013

DRAGONFLY

DragonflyBook Review:  Dragonfly

Author:  Julia Golding
Published:  2009
Series:  No
Genre:  YA fantasy

Goodreads recommended this book to me.  I have to tell you this book sounded right up my nerdy alley.  Two people who initially hate each other come to respect and love one other through their journeys and obstacles.  I feel this plot is more realistic, especially given the surge of books in YA fiction with insta-love lately.  The only problem?  This book was published a few years ago and no kindle edition was published.  What the?  So I went to the library, which told me they had it, but couldn't be found.  Eventually I remembered to check another time and...jackpot!  The Setting paragraph is courtesy of Goodreads, so most likely it's from the publisher.

The Setting

Princess Taoshira of the Blue Crescent Islands is appalled when she is ordered to marry Prince Ramil of Gerfal. And he's not too pleased, either. She is used to a life of discipline, ritual, and splendor. He is used to hunting and carousing. They hate each other on sight. But both of their countries are under threat from a fearsome warlord, and the only chance of peace is to form an alliance.

When Tashi and Ram are kidnapped, they fear there's no escape--from their kidnappers or from each other. Can they put aside their differences long enough to survive ambush, unarmed combat, brainwashing, and imprisonment? And will the people they meet on their adventure--including a circus strongman, a daring rebel leader, a sinister master of spies, and the best female fighter they have ever seen--help them or betray them to the enemy?



What I LIKED about this book
Everything.  There was no shortage of action in this one; keeping me hooked and turning the pages well into the night.  The world and character building was amazing; I could picture the kingdoms and no character suffered from a loss of identity throughout the book.

Tashi and Ram.  The two heroes of this book went on a tremendous journey of self-discovery.  I felt Tashi went through the most amount of trials and soul searching.  Because of this she felt human to me, relate-able.  She stumbled with her faith in the pits of despair but pulled through with the help of her friends.  The romance between the two was slow moving; especially in the beginning when they full-out hated each other.  But then the hatred turned into respect, respect moved to friendship and eventually grew to love.  The last scene with Tashi and Ram had me drooling over the pages.  I am tempted to print up the last few pages and post them around my room, an "ode to Ram", like a thirteen year old girl would with Justin Bieber.  I'm sure my hubby wouldn't mind... 

What I DISLIKED about this book
Absolutely, positively nothing.

Parting Thoughts
Dragonfly is the kind of book that reminds me why I love to read, 4.5 out of 5 stars.  Why I have a sort of addiction.  For you see I go from book to book hoping to stumble across books like Dragonfly...not well-known, diamonds in the rough that hook you from the beginning.  I can tell you I am inexplicably drawn to books like this; fantasy thrillers where romance builds against all odds.  Often the two protagonists hate each other or start off as friends.  These types of books, when carefully crafted and well written, will keep me reading all through the night.  And I can't get enough of them.  I could read this plot again and again; it never gets old as long as it's done right.  Dragonfly is for fans of Rae Carson, Kristin Cashore and fantasy lovers everywhere.  Now...where can I find me a Ram?    

No comments:

Post a Comment