Wednesday, March 13, 2013

ALTERED

Altered (Altered, #1)Book Review:  Altered

Author:  Jennifer Rush
Published:  2013
Series:  Altered #1

Yeah I know what you're thinking.  Chiseled tattoo man on front cover equals steamy kissing scenes and not much more.  Well I try not to judge a book by it's cover... but the man candy on the front cover was so tempting!  And Goodreads rated this one high.  And I needed another dystopian after all the fantasy books I've been reading.  And, and, and...  Okay... I caved and read this one.  And once again I'm behind on my reviews so The Setting paragraph is from the publisher.  

The Setting
When you can’t trust yourself, who can you believe?

Everything about Anna’s life is a secret. Her father works for the Branch at the helm of its latest project: monitoring and administering treatments to the four genetically altered boys in the lab below their farmhouse. There’s Nick, Cas, Trev . . . and Sam, who’s stolen Anna’s heart. When the Branch decides it’s time to take the boys, Sam stages an escape, killing the agents sent to retrieve them. 

Anna is torn between following Sam or staying behind in the safety of her everyday life. But her father pushes her to flee, making Sam promise to keep her away from the Branch, at all costs. There’s just one problem. Sam and the boys don’t remember anything before living in the lab—not even their true identities.

Now on the run, Anna soon discovers that she and Sam are connected in more ways than either of them expected. And if they’re both going to survive, they must piece together the clues of their past before the Branch catches up to them and steals it all away.

What I LIKED about this book
4 hot guys and 1 girl!  How come this never happened to me in high school?  And they're all smart?  Maybe I am reading a fantasy novel.  Okay, okay I'm done!  This book had the feeling of the blockbuster movie Bourne Identity.  Not that that's bad, it just read more like a mystery with people who were too good looking and too good at kicking some butt.  But it was a fast, entertaining read with some major mind blowing twists.  And sometimes you just need books like this.  

Anna ventured on self-discovery throughout the book, at first appearing very weak but then realizing her full potential.  I liked her journey and thought Sam's journey was equally intriguing.

What I DISLIKED about this book
I thought Anna was a little too attached to Sam throughout the book.  I mean she pretty much followed him around with puppy dog eyes.  Come on Anna!  Toughen up a bit around Sam!  Don't act so "available".

Parting Thoughts
Overall I thought Altered was an entreating read, 4 out of 5 stars.  No major plot flaws but Anna sometimes grated on my nerves.  Still, I'm interested to see what Rush does with this series.  I would recommend this book to dystopian and romance fans and anyone who enjoyed The Bourne Identity.  But the question remains, who will be on the next cover?  More man candy?

No comments:

Post a Comment