Monday, February 18, 2013

UNRAVEL ME

Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)Book Review:  Unravel Me

Author:  Tahereh Mafi
Published:  2013
Series:  Shatter Me #2

For those of you who don't know this is the sequel to Shatter Me, a book I had very mixed feelings about.  The background where Juliette and Adam kiss made me want a cold shower, just to cool down!  And does anyone else find it ironic that a muslim woman can write these steamy scenes?  Apart from the snogging, I felt Shatter Me was lacking depth, both in Juliette and with the plot.  I thought Unravel Me would either be a huge success or a train wreck.  And you know what they say about train wreck's...you can't help but watch.  So I read it.  And here's my two cents worth.

The Setting
Adam and Juliette have made it to the headquarters of the rebel resistance deep underground.  She is surrounded by people like her; people with strange and wonderful paranormal capabilities.  She needs to learn to control her own power so she can help fight alongside the resistance.  Which right now, is easier said than done.  Failing miserably and finding Adam acting strange towards her, Juliette feels utterly alone.  So when she finds out what Adam has been spending his time on, she's a little angry.  She just takes out her anger on the floor...as in punching her fist through the floor. 
With the help of her friend Kenji, Juliette learns her capabilities are not limited to killing everything she touches.  When focused, she has enough power to cause the earth to shake.  But all this new found power has cost Juliette dearly.  Because she only just decided to work on her self-discovery after she found out Adam could no longer touch her.  Bummer.  Insert Warner, who can, by the way, still touch Juliette.  Through a series of unfortunate events Warner is taken captive by the resistance and it is Juliette's job to interrogate him.  Turns out you might be a little crazy too if your father was a ruthless, killing machine.  Juliette discovers Warner has a whole other side to him, one that she finds endearing.  But can Warner change his ways after 19 years of evil doing?  Will Juliette learn to step out of Adam's shadow and stand her own ground against the Reestablishment?  And can Mafi beat the steamy make-out shower scene in Shatter Me?

What I LIKED about this book
I did not expect to like this book as much as I did.  This story had the possibility of going south so many times, but I'm impressed Mafi resisted the cliche's, and wrote otherwise.  I DID NOT EXPECT TO LIKE WARNER.  But I so did.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still weary of the guy.  After all, he almost had Juliette kill a toddler (and I'd be lying if said that that thought hasn't crossed my mind several times with my own toddler) but he somewhat redeems himself in Unravel Me.
Juliette grows so much during this book.  She starts off wallowing in self pity and somewhere down the line decides to grow a backbone and fend for herself.  In fact at one point during the first few chapters I told my husband that if Juliette didn't snap out of it I was going to stop reading the book (I didn't get a response here from Chad, just a grunt and he was back to watching sports center...typical guy for you).  But just hang on, she get's a grip so to speak.

What I DISLIKED about this book
Dang you Mafi!  I fell for a love triangle!  I never fall for love triangles!  I am usually quite opinionated about who should be with who, but not in Unravel Me.  Mafi has made me compromise myself!  I'm embarrassed...

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'm going to give Unravel Me 5 out of 5 stars.  I loved it.  If you can make it through Shatter Me then this sequel will not disappoint.  I recommend this to dystopian, romance and paranormal fans, especially girls.  I think this is a good time to mention there is some swearing and heavy kissing scenes, this is probably not a good book for young readers.  If you're okay with that then go reserve this book right away.  I couldn't put it down!

No comments:

Post a Comment