Thursday, February 14, 2013

UNEARTHLY

Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)Book Review:  Unearthly

Author:  Cynthia Hand
Published:  2011
Series:  Unearthly #1

Okay I don't usually read books about angels, but a fellow book blogger raved about this one.  I feel the world of YA literature has been overloaded with angels...and vampires...and love triangles.  And then there's the fact that because they're angels, they have angelic features and are drop dead gorgeous...so cliche!  Can't there be frumpy angels in the world?  So I picked this book up knowing there were angels, and a love triangle.  My expectations weren't high.  

The Setting
Clara, while being utterly breathtaking and possessing superhuman abilities, has a purpose to fulfill in her life.  What that purpose is though, is completely baffling to her.  Her purpose comes to her in dreams and the one thing she can confirm in her visions is the incredibly hot and perfect Christian Prescott, who happens to live hundreds of miles away.  So Clara, her brother Jeffrey and her mother pack up and head to Jackson Hole Wyoming.  Until Clara can figure out when and where she's going to save Christian, she has to endure a new school and new friends, which isn't going to be easy. 
Clara is completely infatuated with Christian and her purpose that when school lets out for the summer, and everyone, including Christian leaves she doesn't know what she'll do to occupy her time.  Or how to distract herself from her purpose.  Enter the cute blond, muscular cowboy Tucker Avery.  Clara thinks Tucker is infuriating.  But I've always said there's a fine line between love and hate.  And Clara's flirting with it.  So what are her feelings for Christian...or Tucker?  Can she fulfill her purpose and everything will go back to normal?  And what are the secrets surrounding her lineage that her mother isn't telling her about?

What I LIKED about this book
Tucker.  He was comedic relief and the humble, sweet guy you were truly rooting for.  And it was liberating when Clara finally fell in love with him.  I must admit this book felt like a scene from Twilight at first; two guys, one seemingly perfect but no real personality or reason for the attachment to the girl.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the Twilight books when they first came out but I like to think my tastes have evolved since then.  I just hope that Hand resolves this love triangle in the second book of the series.

What I DISLIKED about this book
Not enough action for me.  Once again I'm hoping Hand will make up for this in the second book.

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'm going to award Unearthly 4.5 out of 5 stars.  For romance fans (with a slight paranormal edge) I think this is a must read.  Especially if you don't mind a love triangle.  I think this is getting such high marks from me because of the relationship between Clara and Tucker.  I hope they make it.  And I'll definitely read the next book soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment