Thursday, February 21, 2013

THE NOVELLA: FRIEND OR FOE?

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)The Assassin and the Pirate Lord

 There are these short stories referred to as novellas that are basically a small extension of a series.  Most are around 70 pages long and are usually a prequel or small snippet of a different character's point-of-view.  Pro's about novellas?  Even if you have the attention span of a 2-year-old you should be able to finish these.  They're quick to the point and often action packed.  Con's?  Not a lot of character development (most of that should have been done in one of the actual books in the series).  And they cost a little bit of money, and thanks to my monthly book ration I'm pretty cheap!  I have yet to see any novella be offered at my library.  

This was my first experience with one.  It was entertaining to say the least but I felt teased.  Celaena mentioned in Throne of Glass (my review here) that her heart once belonged to a boy named Sam.  And since Celaena's romance aspects fizzled in that book I decided to find out what boy could tame an assassin's heart.  Alas in 70 pages Sam and Celaena only managed to stop hating each other and be civil.  Rats.  Looks like I'll have to read the other 3 novellas to quench my romance needs, which I don't think will happen.  So what are your thoughts on these novellas?  Is it worth my time and book allowance to read on about Celaena?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this one, but I do love Novella's if they have a point. The Black Dagger Brotherhood has a Novella called Father Mine and it was incredible. Made me love them ;)

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete