Tuesday, January 29, 2013

SECOND BOOKS THAT ARE BETTER THAN THE FIRST!

Ah, it's the dreaded second book.  Usually in a trilogy (which, thanks to Hunger Games feels like every book in Young Adult literature is part of a trilogy) the second book is a bust.  Mopey, brooding characters, a snooze worthy plot because the writer is trying to set up the final plot and story line for the third book.  But there are some second books out there that want to make a name for themselves, they just don't want to live in the shadow of the first or final book.  Here is a list of second books in a trilogy that I feel were as good or better than the first book.

Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

It's no secret I didn't like Delirium.  I know plenty of you out there will disagree with me but I'm an action junkie, and Delirium was slow moving and lifeless.  But Pandemonium!  Swoon worthy!  Finally things start happening to the main character Lena, and I'm not talking about just falling in love.  Other shocking fact; Pandemonium ended with a love triangle, which you know I loathe.  So how will Requiem, the final book in the series end with this?  Find out in March!


Prodigy (Legend, #2) Prodigy by Marie Lu

Outpost (Razorland, #2)I was totally floored by the ending of Prodigy.  And don't get me wrong, Legend was awesome too.  But Prodigy leaves you speechless, completely blindsided and in dire need of the third book.  And in honor of the courageous June I even suggested to my husband we name our next child after her...which didn't go so well.  But a girl can dream!  This one comes out today!




Outpost by Ann Aguirre

Now you have to make it through Enclave to get to OutpostEnclave was enjoyable but the plot paralleled the movie I am Legend quite a bit.  But Outpost?  If you can stomach the flesh eating, used-to-be-human creatures who terrorize the land you will be white-knuckling Outpost until you finish it. 





Fire (Graceling Realm, #2)Fire by Kristin Cashore

Some of you may disagree with me on this one, but I loved Fire just as much as Graceling (review to come tomorrow for Fire).  I loved the world Cashore created with the colorful monsters, and keeping the setting secretly within the realm of the gracelings.  I really think I could read endless books written by Cashore about courageous hard working commanders and the women they fall in love with.




So, are there any second books out there in a series I need to read???

No comments:

Post a Comment