Friday, January 4, 2013

TIGER LILY

Tiger LilyBook Review:  Tiger Lily

Author:  Jodi Lynn Anderson
Published:  2012
Series:  No


I picked up Tiger Lily because of the rave reviews it got from fellow book bloggers.  I was a little leery of the storyline, I loved the Disney version of Peter Pan, but I didn’t want to read something that was just like it.


The Setting 
Tiger Lily is not your average teenage girl living in the remote island of Neverland.  She can climb, hunt, and track better than all the boys in her village.  Yet because of her mysterious past, and her unconventional present, Tiger Lily is considered a village outcast, only understood by her closest friend Pine Sap. 
Things start to change for Tiger Lily when she saves a shipwrecked Englander, an act that has her even further shunned by the village (all Englanders are believed to posses the terrifying aging disease).  Because of Tiger Lily’s actions, she is forced into an engagement to the most revolting man in the village, who beats and enslaves Tiger Lily most of the time.  Seeking refuge in her beloved forest, Tiger Lily meets the puzzling Peter Pan who eventually introduces her to the Lost boys.  Tiger Lily is scared of Peter because of his bravery and strength, yet there is an attraction between the two of them that she cannot deny.  Is sacrificing everything for Peter what Tiger Lily really wants?  By the time Tiger Lily can answer that question for herself she may be too late… a delicate girl named Wendy may have stolen Peter’s heart. 

What I LIKED about this book
I loved the ending of this book.  I don’t want to give too much away but this is not your typical fairy-tale-ending I so often read in YA fiction.  I loved the intricacies of the ending, it made me think about parallels to my own life, and that does not usually happen in teen reads.  Tiger Lily's story made me realize that past relationships, for good or for bad, have influenced my life, even decades later.


What I DISLIKED about this book 
The beginning was slow so I had a hard time getting into the book. 

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'll give Tiger Lily 5 out of 5 stars.  This book will not appeal to everybody.  It certainly does not have that “happily ever after” ending, but I was captivated by the love story portion of the book.  This book will probably appeal to fantasy lovers, however people looking for an unusual YA plot will find Tiger Lily refreshing and captivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment