Monday, January 14, 2013

STARCROSSED

Book Review:  Starcrossed

Author:  Josephine Angelini
Published:  2011
Series:  Starcrossed #1

Ok Greek mythology buffs...this book is for you!  I do love Greek mythology however I find it a bit hard to keep track of sometimes.  I was hoping this book would "dummy" it up for me so it would be easy to follow.  Heaven forbid I have to think very hard when I read!

The Setting
Helen is finding out the hard way that she is anything but normal.  Recently her dreams haunt her with three old women weeping blood and clawing their way toward her.  But nothing could prepare her for when she see's these women at school, right by Lucas Delos.  And the fury is
released from her body...literally.  With the help of Lucas and his family, Helen learns that she is part God, and destined for a fate made by the Gods.  By discovering her new found talents, Helen also starts unearthing her past, and every family has it's share of quirky pedigrees.  But Helen's abilities could be the key to free every demigod from the furies, a curse that has affected every house of demigods.  But what is Helen's role in changing her and her loved ones fate?  And why is fate forcing Lucas and Helen away from each other, only to draw them back?

What I LIKED about this book
I loved the Greek mythology.  Yes I had to use my brain to keep up with the curses, ancestry and myths, but hey, my noggin needs a good workout once in awhile.  If it weren't for the mythology I don't think I would have finished this book.

What I DISLIKED about this book
I didn't feel the connection between Lucas and Helen.  I felt their connection was purely instant physical attraction and you know how I hate insta-romance.  The highly spirited Helen became a zombie in the ending, a new found quality I don't think was adequately described at the conclusion of the story.

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'm going to award Starcrossed 3.5 out of 5 stars...and I'm still kind of conflicted with that rating.  Like I said, the mythology was amazingly cool, but the romance fizzled for me and I didn't think the story really picked up speed until the end.  I think you would enjoy Starcrossed if you like fantasy reads, particularly mixed with Greek mythology, and a coming of age heroine.  I'm not sure it I will read Dreamless, Starcrossed #2.  I read Helen falls for another boy and I don't think I can do a love triangle when I only marginally enjoyed Starcrossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment