Friday, January 18, 2013

PRODIGY

Prodigy (Legend, #2)ARC Book Review:  Prodigy

Author:  Marie Lu
Published:  2013
Series:  Legend #2

I majorly scored an arc (advanced readers copy) of Prodigy on ebay recently.  I was as giddy as a school girl as I forked over my credit card information.  It came 2 days before Christmas, talk about a Christmas miracle!  I read it in about 2 days and now I'm writing this review at midnight because I can't fall asleep.  The book has me that worked up!
(warning slight spoilers!)
The Setting
Day and June have escaped Los Angeles and now have arrived in Las Vegas, however Day is in pretty bad shape physically speaking.  In exchange for medical help and information about Day's kidnapped brother, Day and June agree to join the Patriots and their plot to assassinate the new Elector Anden.
June is positioned back into enemy territory to gain the Elector's trust, and then deliver Anden to the assassination location.  Day's job is somewhat more relaxed, he is to cause disruption for the Republic and gain support from the oppressed people.  Realizing the new Elector is nothing like his dictator father, June thwarts the assassination attempt only to find both herself and Day in a different enemy territory.  Did June do the right thing by saving Elector Anden?  And does Day believe her when she tells him that Anden can save the people of the Republic?

What I LIKED about this book
I couldn't put it down.  No, I take that back.  At one point I did put the book down because I wanted the story to go on forever.  I liked it that much.  Just like Legend, I loved the two different perspectives of Day and June.  I LOVED June.  She was fierce, courageous, clear headed and loyal.  There was a sort of love triangle between Anden, Day and June, but June was surprisingly level-headed about her interactions with new interest Anden.  At one point in the book I was swooning over Anden more than Day, something that rarely happens for me (I really hate love triangles and I'm usually in love with one male character only).  By the end however...well let's just say I bawled my eyes out because of one or both of them.  No really...If I re-read the last page again right now I'll sob like a baby.  My face contorts, I'm whimpering, my sniffles overpower whatever sound is coming from the tv...it's not pretty.  I'm fairly sure my husband commented on what a big nerd I was during that time.  I can handle being a nerd.  It's the end of this book that I can't get a handle of...

What I DISLIKED about this book
Not a darn thing.  Maybe, why did I buy this book early because now I have to wait even longer for the third book to come out?

Parting Thoughts
Overall I'm going to award Prodigy the coveted 5 out of 5 stars.  Read this one folks!  You won't be disappointed.  I think it's going to be in my top 3 favorites of 2013.  There was plenty of action and twists, romance and intrigue.  You'll have to wait about 2 weeks to get Prodigy, it doesn't officially hit book stands until January 29, but it's so worth the wait!.  I really need to get my hands on the third book.  Marie Lu devastated me with Prodigy's ending...  Maybe I should tell you to not read Prodigy one until the next one comes out...  

No comments:

Post a Comment